IGNORED

rockport's future - update

mazzgolf

Anyone notice this that was just posted today on NJ DFW website?

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/rockport.htm#future

Rockport's Future
The Rockport Pheasant Farm has preserved valuable open space since 1912 and is now part of the Rockport WMA. However, due to recent changes in quarantine requirements in the USDA National Poultry Improvement Plan in response to Avian Influenza, the raising of pheasants would require costly measures that the Division simply cannot afford. These measures include sanitizing all vehicles that enter and exit the facility, constructing decontamination rooms for each building, and assigning staff to work only in one building or area of the farm. Consequently, meeting these requirements would not only be cost prohibitive, but would require doubling the amount of staff. Therefore, the Division is pursuing alternatives to raising our own pheasants.

Recognizing the challenge ahead, the Fish and Game Council voted in February to expand the purchase of adult pheasants to satisfy 100% of the birds needed for the stocking program. While there are several procurement challenges associated with this approach, we expect to fully implement this plan in 2019. As a result, no pheasants will be reared at the Rockport Pheasant Farm in 2019, provided that we are successful in developing the necessary contracts with outside vendors to purchase these birds.

We've had a few posts on this recently and were just awaiting this formal announcement.  Makes a ton of sense to me!  

Guess you're right. But, it's another little piece of Jersey gone.

That new building is kinda recent. 

Hope it indeed does work out for the better.

Guess you're right. But, it's another little piece of Jersey gone.

That new building is kinda recent. 

Hope it indeed does work out for the better.

Just glad to know that no jobs will be lost as a result.  And now those staffers can focus on other jobs in need of doing within the Division.  

Just glad to know that no jobs will be lost as a result. And now those staffers can focus on other jobs in need of doing within the Division.

How true, the guys and gals that work there aren't bringing in the big $$$$ like many would be led to believe, honesty I don't know how they survive here, but they are happy doing what they do. Edited by Roon

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

If the program was to go away I know I would never buy another Nj license ! I wonder how many of the 12,000 stamp buyers feel the same ? Not much bird hunting close by, it would really be hard on people that love to hunt with bird dogs.

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege 

Sorry IMO Total BS did I read right do to Regulations Sanitation requirements Why and How can the Dozens of Farms ( Hatchery ) in New Jersey survive all these Regulations and Costs. and Now NJDFAG will Contract out for the Pheasants  :headscratch:  So The Workers Remain to Push Papers around Managing the Ordering Shipping - Pay Rolls Stocking. Maintain Vehicles  Ordering the Stamps selling the stamps That Now will Surly cost a Lot More even $50 is not out of the question. With all those Changes NJDFAG Remain the front man the Middle Man and New manager of the Cash Cow. 

To the OP it is not another Piece of NJ gone the mismanagement sealed its fate For $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Is the Trout Next. 

Fear not the loss of State Raised Stockings will be Filled with a new Better Quality Hunts on Semi and Preserves helping Farmers.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

If the program was to go away I know I would never buy another Nj license ! I wonder how many of the 12,000 stamp buyers feel the same ? Not much bird hunting close by, it would really be hard on people that love to hunt with bird dogs.

There is NO plan to end the pheasant stocking program, just a change in where the birds will come from.  It is very expensive to change/upgrade the fairly new rearing facility at Rockport Game Farm and to train the employees who split time between there and stocking trout out of Pequest in the new requirements the feds put on these facilities to reduce avian flu outbreaks.  Avian flu isn't something to be messed with, and like any rearing facility, disease can and does spread rapidly in close quarters.  Look no further than the furunculosis outbreak at Pequest.  

Its not the end of the program and in fact people hunting birds in this state will never feel the difference.

At the end it is about money, the government has never and never will produce anything cheaper than private sector, so why not? What is the difference to anyone hunting pheasants in NJ where they come from? The $40 you pay is a very good deal so why not work towards the goal of keeping it where it is.

Edited by Lunatic

Actually, when I think about it, this is probably a good thing. Why is the government in the business of raising birds anyway? Privatization is the way to go in so many other areas, why not this one? Give some private entrepreneurs the chance to outbid others and win the contract. They get business, we save money. We all know the government is rarely as efficient and cost-effective as private enterprise - competition in business is almost always a good thing.

Its not the end of the program and in fact people hunting birds in this state will never feel the difference.

At the end it is about money, the government has never and never will produce anything cheaper than private sector, so why not? What is the difference to anyone hunting pheasants in NJ where they come from? The $40 you pay is a very good deal so why not work towards the goal of keeping it where it is.

Because it hasn’t stayed “where it is”. First the reallocation did affect the past practices and the quality of the hunts, second the number of birds was reduced and will continue no matter what F&G says at the moment and third the stamp prices will indeed go up again no matter what F&G says at the moment. F&G only acts on what will bring in more revenue period. Do you actually think extended permits, buck tags, non regulation of unlimited doe permits and inclusion of xbows had anything to do with besides money? If you think for a second they’ve taken a scientific, biological or quality of hunting experience consideration towards hunting in NJ you’re sadly mistaken

AWM

At the end it is about money, the government has never and never will produce anything cheaper than private sector, so why not? What is the difference to anyone hunting pheasants in NJ where they come from? The $40 you pay is a very good deal so why not work towards the goal of keeping it where it is.

Actually, when I think about it, this is probably a good thing. Why is the government in the business of raising birds anyway? Privatization is the way to go in so many other areas, why not this one? Give some private entrepreneurs the chance to outbid others and win the contract. They get business, we save money. We all know the government is rarely as efficient and cost-effective as private enterprise - competition in business is almost always a good thing.

You are both spot on.  Funny that we hunters who consider ourselves mostly conservative which means limited government want the Division to rear our pheasants instead of businessmen/women that can do it better and cheaper.  And south Jersey has already been seeing birds from producers other than Rockport being stocked on their local MWAs, but not one hunter complained or even noticed.