IGNORED

Boat question

FowlHooked

Although this is a waterfowl forum i imagaine u guys would have some good input since we all have similar interests. I currently run an older lowe 1648 big jon with a force 15. Ive been shopping around for an outboard upgrade and cant decide. Ii can get a used 2008 to 2009 yamaha 25 2 stroke for around 2K or buy a brandnew 20 hp 4 stroke with efi for under 3K. A new 25hp is out of my price range as they all seem to be around 4K.

My question is, what would u guys go with vetween the two?

The 25 hp yammy 2 stroke is going to be about 10 pounds lighter than the new merc 20. I used to have an 08 Yamaha 2 stroke 25 short shaft and it was easy to work on and overall had more thrust than a comparable 4 stroke motor. Even though it seems like only 5 horse power difference I think the Yamaha 2 stroke 25 will far outperform the Mercury 20 4-stroke all day. Only downside is mixing gas, lack of fuel efficiency and no warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 25 Yamaha 2 stroke will like as not be a "precision blend" and will have an oil tank on it for 2stroke oil, and they are very reliable, the EFI 4 strokes these days are also very reliable, just turn the key and it goes VROOM every time, if you can raise the cash I'd go for the Yamaha F25, you can't go wrong with that one.

Edited by GhostBear

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

First and foremost, what is the boat rated for?

If it's max is 25 than see what is the best or most affordable to you.

I see lots of boats that carry motors that are way too much for the boat.

In our conditions, being calm sometimes and down right nasty others.

It's best to get a motor that is dependable to get you from point A to B.

Good luck

Its rated for 35 hp, but keep in mind thats in 1989. I am hesitant to even put the weight of alot of todays 25hp four strokes on it (except the new yamahas). I am leaning towards a new 20hp. At the end of the day its a light boat and im not looking to go light speed. Just wanna get from a to b in a reasonable amount of time.