IGNORED

Recreating an Antler from Scratch

Rusty

Our daughter shot a nice 5.5 year old, 130" 8 pointer during winter bow but it had dropped its left side.  After the shot it dropped its right side as well.  I couldn't find the left shed so I'm attempting to recreate it from scratch.  The buck was extremely symmetrical so I just need to copy the right side.

I've never tried this before so this could be an epic fail.   :rofl:

Here's how we found the buck after she shot it.  

Shed buck .jpeg

Framed it out with heavy gauge wire. 

Antler.jpeg

Added a layer of epoxy.

Antler 3.jpeg

Fleshed it out with more epoxy.

Antler 3.jpeg

Finished putting epoxy on the tines.

Antler 4.jpeg

Working on the base.

Antler 5.jpeg

Finished the browtine.  Now it's time to sand it down, add the details, then color it.

Antler 6.jpeg

3 hours of sanding later.

Antler 7.jpeg

Added details to the base. 

Antler 8.jpeg

Almost got the coloring right.

Antler 9.jpeg

All done.

Antler 11.jpeg

Epoxied the antlers back onto the skull.

Shed Mount .jpeg

buck.jpeg

Edited by Rusty

Not laughing Rusty. :up: I like your willingness to try to do something new and different. My only fear is that it will take a lot of epoxy to fill the mass. If you can weld a little maybe starting off with thin rebar may be a better option. I am looking forward to the finished product.

Plus the epoxy will stick a lot better to the rebar compared to the smooth wire.

Edited by rocky

Best of luck Rusty. You can do it. Keep in mind, I was talking to ASFTAX earlier and he said he was repairing two broken brow tines on a customer's deer head he is mounting. He was saying the reason why it is so costly to repair tines is because of the cost of the epoxy and materials used to create the points...

Edited by LPJR

Not laughing Rusty. :up: I like your willingness to try to do something new and different. My only fear is that it will take a lot of epoxy to fill the mass. If you can weld a little maybe starting off with thin rebar may be a better option. I am looking forward to the finished product.

Plus the epoxy will stick a lot better to the rebar compared to the smooth wire.

You are right about the amount of epoxy needed Rocky.  Fortunately I've got 4 lb. of Apoxie Sculpt and as Jay pointed out, it doesn't have a good finish or color for replicating antlers.  So the plan is to use the Apoxie to lay down a thin base, then when that is hard I'll fill it out and complete the details with Antler Sculpt.  

Best of luck Rusty. You can do it. Keep in mind, I was talking to ASFTAX earlier and he said he was repairing two broken brow tines on a customer's deer head he is mounting. He was saying the reason why it is so costly to repair tines is because of the cost of the epoxy and materials used to create the tines...

Yeah it probably would have been cheaper to get a shoulder mount done.   :rofl:

Looking good.

My only thought is it will flex because your wires are not thick enough..

Me reccomendation is to use a threaded rod, the largest size you can bend for the main beam.. then the largest size you can for the tines.

At this point, I would continue to wrap 10ga wires along what you have to build up mass, then pack the epoxy into the layers of wire.

Beef it up, the epoxy is heavier than you think.

;)

Can you please do it at my shop, I wanna watch :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looking good.

My only thought is it will flex because your wires are not thick enough..

Me reccomendation is to use a threaded rod, the largest size you can bend for the main beam.. then the largest size you can for the tines.

At this point, I would continue to wrap 10ga wires along what you have to build up mass, then pack the epoxy into the layers of wire.

Beef it up, the epoxy is heavier than you think.

You are right Jay, I was worried about that.  Normal antler repair wire is too thin and flexible for this project.  The wire I am using is much thicker and stronger than it looks in the picture.  I had to use bolt cutters to cut it and pliers to bend and shape it.  The main beam is 3 strands thick.  In addition the antlers are so thick that the shear volume of epoxy is going to give it strength.  I hope.   :rofl:  

Antler 2.jpeg

Edited by Rusty