IGNORED

Let there be light! And thicket!

I found if I leave too much holding wood it splits vertically. Up about 4ft, then snaps off.

I usually cut the way the tree is naturally leaning, I get slow at the end and once it starts moving I back off and push it...

It helps if you drop it on trees already down and it cushions the fall ..

The ones that hit the ground at full speed and don't have many branches snap easily.

Maple and hickory never break.. the other stuff like ash snap almost every time.. or have no flex and fold at the cut.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Trophy,  the purpose of hinge cutting is as T Cook posted, your trying to not cut through the tree so it is still getting fed from its root system.

Turns the tree into a thick bush when it starts to regrow, giving much more cover as well as low browse.

Very aware of what Jay is trying to accomplish....my wording was not correct as I lumped the meaning. Knowing what type of tree one is cutting can change the way its cut to avoid a accident. Using a wedge as is the best way, the video livesintrees posted is perfect.

One thing for sure, good undergrowth will start to develop for Jay.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good gonna definitely get under growth and invasive plants in, but hinge cutting leaves tree in tact so upper portion even though fell continues to get nourishment.

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.