IGNORED

Anyone do "rough" camping? Share your Experiences

Sticks n' Stones2

I'm curious to know of others who DO NOT go glamping. I know for my self I journey into the bush with not much else but an Axe, knife, buck saw, wool blanket, fire steel (or bowdrill if I'm feelin' ballsy) and a pot stuffed in my rucksack, and go do multi day trips sleeping in a cave.

Anyone do something similar?

Edited by Sticks n' Stones2

My son and I have done a few backpacking trips in the Rockies. 100 miles each time over 2 week period. Great times. Toughest part was acclimating to the altitude. I’d also say that trips like that really make you appreciate water. Carried 6 liters and pumped the rest. Hoping to do the entire length of the Appalachian trail some day.

I'm curious to know of others who DO NOT go glamping. I know for my self I journey into the bush with not much else but an Axe, knife, buck saw, wool blanket, fire steel (or bowdrill if I'm feelin' ballsy) and pot stuffed in my rucksack, and go do multi day trips sleeping in a cave.

Bring your bowdrill to Jays this winter and you can start the fire with it

I'm curious to know of others who DO NOT go glamping. I know for my self I journey into the bush with not much else but an Axe, knife, buck saw, wool blanket, fire steel (or bowdrill if I'm feelin' ballsy) and pot stuffed in my rucksack, and go do multi day trips sleeping in a cave.

How much pot do you bring?  It it really good stuff, and do you have a reliable source?  I always find that you can't bring enough herb into the woods, unless you're in CA and you can stumble into a Mexican growing operation.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

When I was a teenager, there was nothing I liked doing more (...well, almost nothing!)  than primitive camping in the local woods.  Open fire in front of a lean-to made from an old canvas tarp - even in the winter.  I also backpacked using all the modern lightweight gear, but the most fun was roughing it Jack London style.

Now, at 60 years old, I look forward to a warm, soft, clean bed at night.

Merry Christmas, my friends!

Jeff

How much pot do you bring?  It it really good stuff, and do you have a reliable source?  I always find that you can't bring enough herb into the woods, unless you're in CA and you can stumble into a Mexican growing operation.

Ah the wonders of grammar. Naw I just chuck some Fomes fomentarius and Piptoporus betulinus into the fire and let it do it's work. The story behind this is my friend and I collected some shrooms for that I knew were good for fire-starting but forgot about them when we started lighting the tinder. Time went by and I found them again. What do you do when you have something lying around in camp? You chuck in the fire. Well we went to sleep after that. Anyway I woke up at 12 thinking I was in a basement right down to my brain putting the aroma of insolation in my nose, and well my friend had while funny, quite a strange dream which is better if I don't go into detail about. From the way he described it was beyond odd and trippy aswell.