06roadking

Need new tires for your truck?

Where’s your shop ?

My shop is in Lawrenceville near Princeton. *Just a note guys. This wasn’t a sales pitch for my shop. I was just reviewing the tires although I would be happy to give my best price to NJWW members
  • Agree 2

Thanks for the info I'll be in the market in another 10k or so miles.

Not trying to step on any toes here, but these tires really aren't the least bit impressive. They are basically a reworked bfg, which is probably the most overrated tire in tire history. They just do ok on dirt and rock, but drive like hell on the pavement compared to the new generation of AT tires like the toyo open country or cooper discoverer.

Expedition Portal put them all through the paces a few years back. If you guys don't believe me, here are the experts giving them all a good workout in every way imaginable.

https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

Edited by not on the rug

Just put a set on my F-150 and so far this tire is great and best part was I got into

Them for a really good price.

Not trying to step on any toes here, but these tires really aren't the least bit impressive. They are basically a reworked bfg, which is probably the most overrated tire in tire history. They just do ok on dirt and rock, but drive like hell on the pavement compared to the new generation of AT tires like the toyo open country or cooper discoverer.

Expedition Portal put them all through the paces a few years back. If you guys don't believe me, here are the experts giving them all a good workout in every way imaginable.

https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

For the General AT2:

Pros:

Good lateral grip on pavement

Direct and accurate at speed

Excellent grip at speed on dirt

60,000-mile warranty

Cons:

Failed rock climb

Firm ride quality

Poor straight line braking performance

Needs heat in the tire for best results

Well I know I'm not rock climbing with my truck, I find the ride on pavement and highway to be just fine, straight like breaking I see no issues

these results from this link isn't for the everyday driver here in NJ

• Agree 2

Expedition Portal put them all through the paces a few years back. If you guys don't believe me, here are the experts giving them all a good workout in every way imaginable. https://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

Just giving personal opinion. I can get and sell most any brand made and make the same amount on any tire so I am just giving my opinion. Btw, the tires I replaced on my truck were Cooper Discoverers. I got 30,000 miles out of them and the highway ride was half as good as these generals. Again, jmo. The Coopers are also the only tires I’ve ever sold that I actually had a customer bring back and say to replace them with Anything else cuz they were too loud. And again, I’m not trying to sell tires on here. I’m just giving a review. I actually make zero on a tire. I make my money mounting and balancing tire. I sell the actual tire for what I buy it for. Anyway, I was just really impressed driving out of the woods in 5 inches of snow over mud so I thought I would share my experience

I'm a big fan of Goodyear Wranglers. I've had them on my Chevy's for a long time and I get over 70,000 miles on them.

• Agree 1

For the General AT2:

Pros:

Good lateral grip on pavement

Direct and accurate at speed

Excellent grip at speed on dirt

60,000-mile warranty

Cons:

Failed rock climb

Firm ride quality

Poor straight line braking performance

Needs heat in the tire for best results

Well I know I'm not rock climbing with my truck, I find the ride on pavement and highway to be just fine, straight like breaking I see no issues

these results from this link isn't for the everyday driver here in NJ

Did you see how they performed ON THE ROAD compared to all of the other tires? You know, where most NJ drivers are actually driving.

Just giving personal opinion. I can get and sell most any brand made and make the same amount on any tire so I am just giving my opinion. Btw, the tires I replaced on my truck were Cooper Discoverers. I got 30,000 miles out of them and the highway ride was half as good as these generals. Again, jmo. The Coopers are also the only tires I’ve ever sold that I actually had a customer bring back and say to replace them with Anything else cuz they were too loud. And again, I’m not trying to sell tires on here. I’m just giving a review. I actually make zero on a tire. I make my money mounting and balancing tire. I sell the actual tire for what I buy it for. Anyway, I was just really impressed driving out of the woods in 5 inches of snow over mud so I thought I would share my experience

Interesting Wayne.. I've never knows anyone who has had that experience with those coopers, with either durability or noise. The bfg/general is a far louder tire than the cooper or the toyo. I have personally never run those coopers, but I've had those toyos for nearly 50k miles and they still have a ton of life left in them.

I've never read a single review that has that tread pattern performing better on the road (wet or dry) than the cooper or the toyo. Braking distance, slalom, skidpad, and wet conditions show that they always leave a lot to be desired.

I dont think they are a bad tire, just not the best for anyone who drives on pavement more often than they drive on dirt. If I owned a ranch out west and spent 90% of my time in the dirt, gravel and snow, those generals would more than likely be on my truck

• Agree 1

I have no dog in this fight, but here's my input.. I had the Gen Grabbers on my truck, and now have Cooper Discovery AT3's.. IMO the Coopers are better. Less road noise, better grip on wet pavement, etc.. The Grabbers weren't bad tires, especially for the price, but given the 2 side-by-side, I'd rather spend the few extra bucks for the  Cooper Discovery AT3's.

Edited by Hunter115522
  • Agree 1

Did you see how they performed ON THE ROAD compared to all of the other tires? You know, where most NJ drivers are actually driving.

Interesting Wayne.. I've never knows anyone who has had that experience with those coopers, with either durability or noise. The bfg/general is a far louder tire than the cooper or the toyo. I have personally never run those coopers, but I've had those toyos for nearly 50k miles and they still have a ton of life left in them.

I've never read a single review that has that tread pattern performing better on the road (wet or dry) than the cooper or the toyo. Braking distance, slalom, skidpad, and wet conditions show that they always leave a lot to be desired.

I dont think they are a bad tire, just not the best for anyone who drives on pavement more often than they drive on dirt. If I owned a ranch out west and spent 90% of my time in the dirt, gravel and snow, those generals would more than likely be on my truck

Ive never tried the Toyos though I’ve heard good things about them. I’ll keep that in mind if I have a customer ask about them. As far. As the Coopers, the ones that came back were on a lady’s suburban and she wasn’t pleased. I can’t take a chance on stuff like that cuz I then eat them. I don’t like to but, it’s the right thing to do.
  • Agree 1

I have some experience with all the tires brands mentioned and a lot more and I'll just leave it at that.

Tire brands, especially AT and HP tires, are like Chevy vs Ford, Mathews vs Hoyt etc. to a lot of enthusiasts.

The fact is that most drivers won't ever take advantage of most of the technology in quality tires that are manufactured today.

I sell over 3000 Cooper AT3s every year. I can't ever remember a noise complaint from an AT3 customer. If your buying Coopers wholesale from K&W and have a complaint like that, you can return them and they'll give you credit. If your not buying from K&W you should be.

• Agree 3

I have some experience with all the tires brands mentioned and a lot more and I'll just leave it at that.

Tire brands, especially AT and HP tires, are like Chevy vs Ford, Mathews vs Hoyt etc. to a lot of enthusiasts.

The fact is that most drivers won't ever take advantage of most of the technology in quality tires that are manufactured today.

I sell over 3000 Cooper AT3s every year. I can't ever remember a noise complaint from an AT3 customer. If your buying Coopers wholesale from K&W and have a complaint like that, you can return them and they'll give you credit. If your not buying from K&W you should be.

Hey, it might have been just that woman’s opinion. She’s a good customer and it wouldn’t have been to my benefit to argue with her. I didn’t come on here to sell tires, to bash another brand,to promote one over another or to say I’m a tire expert. I was just relaying information like I do if I try out a new shotgun and like it or eat at a good sandwich place and get treated well. It was just a review of something I tried and liked. We’ve been in business for 54 years and have been buying our tires from the same company for 36 of those years. I’m sure my wholesaler would have taken them back but I just didn’t push it. There are a bunch of good tires out there today and I don’t sell anywhere near 3000 Coopers a year. I’m not a tire store. I have an auto repair shop that also sells tires. We are just a two man shop, my dad and I, that has been successful by being honest and doing good work. I’ve worked there since I was 11 so, I have a few years experience. Like I said, I didn’t come on here to sell tires. Just to give a review of something that impressed me. If they didn’t work well I prolly would have never brought it up which, at this point, I wish I hadn’t anyway. So, being that my father raised a family out of that garage and, I’ve raised a family out of that garage, the place hasn’t made anyone rich but has paid for itself many times over, I figure I have some idea what I’m talking about and I’m prolly buying my tires from the place that’s gonna treat me the best after buying from them for 35 years exclusively. It was just a review of tires that I put on my truck. Not an effort to bash any other tires. Not a side by side test of every brand tire out there. Not an effort to sell tires. Not a post saying I’m the tire guru of the east. Not a consumer report of what tire is best for my old piece of shit pick up. Merely a short review of a single type and brand of tire that I thought could be helpful to someone looking for tires for their truck.
  • Agree 3

I have the General Grabbers on my truck.. I have around 30k on them they have been great. I will be putting another set on the when it's time

• Agree 1