IGNORED

How much for a small parcel to lease?

I live near a piece of land probably 30 acres, great hunting in that spot and wanted to throw a number at the landowner, my question is what is the going rate right now per acre for leases? My real-estate people are not into this, so i drew a blank stare in the office. Thank you.

Edited by rossbowhunter

Paul M. Ross

REALTOR

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

PAUL THE PAINTER

INTERIOR PAINTING

HUNTERDON/WARREN COUNTIES

908-943-8842

See if they'll let you hunt for free! Or for a share of the meat, use cash as a last resort, but if they've received offers in the past it can get ridiculous at how much they can get, formulas rang form price per acre total or by "hunt able acres, make a cash offer that you feel comfortable with, and the lowest the owners will accept.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

I live right next to 30 acres of undeveloped land. Couple years ago, I cold-emailed the president of the owning company asking to bow hunt, thinking I didn't have a shot but what's the worst that can happen?

I got a phone call back saying, "sure, but can you post the property for us?" Uh... YEAH! :)

I promised to clean up the property and post it for them, which I did.

Wasn't a great spot, and with too many trespassers, thieves, and kids riding dirt bikes I gave up trying to hunt it anymore.

But point being - ask to hunt for free first - offer to help clean it up, post it, whatever, in exchange to hunt it. You never know!

Oh, BTW, you may think you are doing them a favor by offering money, but in some cases it's more of a hassle than just letting you hunt for free. Because once you engage in an official lease, their liability actually goes up due to you now having a for-pay relationship - they need to manage the property to keep you safe (any dangerous areas have to be cleaned up or you have to be notified of them - something to that effect).

If they allow you to hunt for free, NJ has a Landowner's Liability Law that takes effect which means the owners are not required to tell you about any dangerous areas on the property nor do they have to do anything to keep it safe. In other words, you hunt at your own risk.

See: https://www.maggianolaw.com/new-jersey-landowner-liability-act/ for a good summary.

It depends on the location.  I would not bother leasing any piece unless I knew all the surrounding property boundaries and whether or not they were heavily hunted.  For general hunting minus any attempt to do "QDM" it sounds good.  I stay realistic unless I know I'm hunting near a sanctuary area that holds big bucks with no hunting. 

I wouldn’t pay a dime to lease in NJ. Treat yourself to a midwest hunt instead

I throw that around every year . Do I want to hunt 1 week with yes the chance to shoot a 150 + deer or lease here and hunt it all year (deer , bear , turkey , goose and predators ). My answer is easy because I have a 15 year old son who loves to hunt so NJ just makes sense right now . Before I got married I hunted Canada and out west but for know it's here . You can't compare NJ to the Midwest , it's like apples and onions . You just have to take it for what it is and we do and have a blast doing it .