IGNORED

Getting The Itch To Purchase a Xbow

BHC

How does it put you at a disadvantage?

Believe me, I’m beating myself up for even considering buying one of those damn things, I hate them! I have tremendous pressure surrounding my Midwest farm, and there all shooting crossbows. We’re all hunting the same mature bucks, I already had one neighbor kill a booner this year at 70 yds with his crossbow, this is the same neighbor that barely could draw his bow and couldn’t hit a Deer at 20 yds if his life depended upon it. He’s not disabled or a senior citizen, just pure laziness and the lack of willingness to practice. He never shot a deer with his bow since I bought the farm in 2012. I Also, had two other deer one just shy of 170” and another 180” on my farm this year, I have dozens of pics of both Deer. I’ve been passing the one up for the past two years, and had multiple encounters the past three years with the other. Both were killed by outfitter clients this year. I know,” I don’t own these deer”, but believe me, I am the guy growing them for everyone else! I killed two nice bucks this year, I’m very happy, but I did have multiple encounters with my target buck (much larger buck) that I just couldn’t get drawn on or were outside my effective range. I’ve explained myself before, don’t beat me up to bad, but no matter how I add it up, I would have killed a much bigger buck this year if I had a crossbow... I had thirteen encounters in 20 days with my target buck, I just couldn’t seal the deal. I’m sure you all have been there! It’s bow hunting sometimes you win and sometimes you lose! I’m totally fine with that, the challenge is what I live for. I wasn’t looking for an easier way, whoever knows me knows I don’t cheat! in fact they all think I’m nuts for passing on the Deer I routinely pass up. My health sucks, I’m getting older, Im more heavily invested than most in the pursuit of these big Deer both mentally, physically, and financially. The facts are I’m going to be severely handicapped against my crossbow toting neighbors hugging my property line. If I buy a crossbow I will not cheat myself out of the opportunity to take a big buck with my bow. I will only carry the x bow in certain scenarios (big field edge stands bordering neighbors) and Ill take the crossbow and compound together in a tree for all other scenarios and will do my best to get it done with the bow.

Believe me, I’m beating myself up for even considering buying one of those damn things, I hate them! I have tremendous pressure surrounding my Midwest farm, and there all shooting crossbows. We’re all hunting the same mature bucks, I already had one neighbor kill a booner this year at 70 yds with his crossbow, this is the same neighbor that barely could draw his bow and couldn’t hit a Deer at 20 yds if his life depended upon it. He’s not disabled or a senior citizen, just pure laziness and the lack of willingness to practice. He never shot a deer with his bow since I bought the farm in 2012. I Also, had two other deer one just shy of 170” and another 180” on my farm this year, I have dozens of pics of both Deer. I’ve been passing the one up for the past two years, and had multiple encounters the past three years with the other. Both were killed by outfitter clients this year. I know,” I don’t own these deer”, but believe me, I am the guy growing them for everyone else! I killed two nice bucks this year, I’m very happy, but I did have multiple encounters with my target buck (much larger buck) that I just couldn’t get drawn on or were outside my effective range. I’ve explained myself before, don’t beat me up to bad, but no matter how I add it up, I would have killed a much bigger buck this year if I had a crossbow... I had thirteen encounters in 20 days with my target buck, I just couldn’t seal the deal. I’m sure you all have been there! It’s bow hunting sometimes you win and sometimes you lose! I’m totally fine with that, the challenge is what I live for. I wasn’t looking for an easier way, whoever knows me knows I don’t cheat! in fact they all think I’m nuts for passing on the Deer I routinely pass up. My health sucks, I’m getting older, Im more heavily invested than most in the pursuit of these big Deer both mentally, physically, and financially. The facts are I’m going to be severely handicapped against my crossbow toting neighbors hugging my property line. If I buy a crossbow I will not cheat myself out of the opportunity to take a big buck with my bow. I will only carry the x bow in certain scenarios (big field edge stands bordering neighbors) and Ill take the crossbow and compound together in a tree for all other scenarios and will do my best to get it done with the bow.

You got 2 choices: 1. Keep whining about how xbow hunters are killing deer you would otherwise get or 2. Buy a crossbow.

But just know once you buy a crossbow no one is going to believe you really killed a buck with the compound you say you also carry with you. I couldn't care less what other's think of the way I hunt, but you seem like you do.

Also, there is no reason you should be taking 70 yard shots with a crossbow.

Edited by dlist777

You got 2 choices: 1. Keep whining about how xbow hunters are killing deer you would otherwise get or 2. Buy a crossbow.

But just know once you buy a crossbow no one is going to believe you really killed a buck with the compound you say you also carry with you. I couldn't care less what other's think of the way I hunt, but you seem like you do.

Also, there is no reason you should be taking 70 yard shots with a crossbow.

A few really good points you have there but I couldn't care less what others think. I've killed more bucks than I can even keep track of. As far as crossbows go, I better be able to take 70 yd shots! I was  consistent out to 60 yds with the bow until the last year or two, 50 yds max nowadays. If I cant get out to 60 or 70yds with the x bow it would be a total waste of my time. Crossbow or Compound Ill always tell it the way it is... Lying about what weapon I use?  Pathetic!

Edited by Bowhunter2004

I am getting the itch for a traditional bow. I feel like it’s either Xbow or traditional. Compounds are not as effective as xbows but are not near the challenge of traditional. Show me a mature buck killed with a recurve or long bow and I’m impressed. Compound or xbow is cool too but not the same IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few really good points you have there but I couldn't care less what others think. I've killed more bucks than I can even keep track of. As far as crossbows go, I better be able to take 70 yd shots! I was consistent out to 60 yds with the bow until the last year or two, 50 yds max nowadays. If I cant get out to 60 or 70yds with the x bow it would be a total waste of my time. Crossbow or Compound Ill always tell it the way it is... Lying about what weapon I use? Pathetic!

if you can shoot consistant at 50 yrds why even bother with the xbow? Just cause another guy got lucky on a 70yrd shot doesnt mean you will. Ask yourself a question... Does the weapon make you a successful hunter or does your brain decide that?

AWM

I really hated when they became legal. I still think its a joke to compare crossbows to regular bows. I love when everyone has to explain why they have to shoot a crossbow because of some old shoulder injury. What it is, is a weapon that is extremely effective with very little practice. Perfect for the lazy hunter. Put them in the scope and squeeze the trigger, just like a gun. They are so accurate its sick.  Well, after being the only one in my circle of hunting buddies who didn't own a crossbow I finally crossed over to the dark side. I now own a crossbow, and its alot of fun to shoot.  In a few days I intend to shoot a deer with it. Im sure that will be alot of fun too! 

I really hated when they became legal. I still think its a joke to compare crossbows to regular bows. I love when everyone has to explain why they have to shoot a crossbow because of some old shoulder injury. What it is, is a weapon that is extremely effective with very little practice. Perfect for the lazy hunter. Put them in the scope and squeeze the trigger, just like a gun. They are so accurate its sick.  Well, after being the only one in my circle of hunting buddies who didn't own a crossbow I finally crossed over to the dark side. I now own a crossbow, and its alot of fun to shoot.  In a few days I intend to shoot a deer with it. Im sure that will be alot of fun too! 

Yes, most guys will have some medical explanation why the crossbow. I switched as a healthy capable man and I hunt with a cross bow for one single reason: Its fun.