IGNORED

Getting The Itch To Purchase a Xbow

BHC

Bunch of guys bought the Killer Instinct 370 Frt when they closed them out last December for under 500 bucks.

Best trigger on market hands down.

and they balance in hand like other crossbows feel on a bench

Since then the price has drastically gone up .

The KI 350 with their normal trigger can be bought for under 400 bucks.

And are also sweet shooters

IMO excalibers few inches wider is a def negative to their great design.

The raven while being just the opposite being the narrowist has many reviews they can be difficult to shoot consistantly.

Lots of reviews on you tube and on sites selling all the different models.

Unlike most thing extra money might not be well spent on a high priced tag xbow.

And its not like you will need to shoot hundreds of shots with them.

Handful of shots a season is all most guys shoot

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

They will work and some are better than others but it is still a arrow with a broadhead. Still kills by hemorrhaging and not shock like a gun. Don't take 100 yd shots like some commercials. Most any are effective in typical bow ranges to 40 yds.  To me it is getting as close to the game as possible with out them knowing you are there!!!!!!!!

Edited by Buck154

No I said they are gaining popularity. There is a definite resurgence of hunters wanting that challenge. And you are right compounds dominate popularity. But there market is shrinking at each end of the spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Xbows will overtake compounds.

Edited by Lunatic

I guess it was three years ago I bought the "Simon Peter Special" - Wicked Ridge Invader package.  Prolly not the best, but I knew of two other guys that had bought them previously and had no issues.  It's real accurate and I've killed several deer and a bear with it.  I still only take shots 20 yards and under, so that prolly makes a difference with regard to bow quality.

Again I only know ten point because this is my first xbow. Early in the season my almost 3 year old bow had a small limb delamination. 10 point replaced both limbs and the string and the only thing I had to pay for was to ship the upper unit, $12. I practically have a new bow now. They stand behind their product.

You can go to crossbownation.com and get a ton of information.  But, I warn you...a lot of folks are fanboys there.  They will defend the xbow brand they purchased as if they are the owner of the company and crap on others.  I've owned crossbows from a barnett that cost me $350 to a scorpyd that cost me $900 to a ten point that cost me $1,100 to a ravin that cost me $2,000.  They all can put an arrow in a small circle out to 40 yards (although some are a bit better than others).  

The main differences from $350 to $2,000 are small improvements.  Making them lighter and smaller mainly...easier to cock.  I like the reverse draws because they are much easier to shoot off hand and I don't want to limit myself to having a shooting stick or a rail all the time.  It always seems to me that the shooter bucks come at me from angles I wasn't expecting.  The ravin is great too (although you should save the $500 bucks and get an R9 instead of an R15 if you want to go that route).  

Get a good optic.  Hawke makes a few good scopes, but there are many.  Get the kind with multiple lines that compensate for arrow drop.  It's nice if they are illuminated b/c it gets hard to see those lines in the last 15 minutes of shooting light.  

Oh, and when you're sighting it in at 20 yards, shoot at different dots!  Ruined a few arrows that way....

Enjoy your search.  

I bought two used Parkers from different members on these forums.  I kept one and gave the other to a buddy for helping me out over the summer.  I can shoot my compound as good or better than most.  I enjoy shooting it.

However, I prefer hunting with the crossbow.  It is more accurate, more deadly, and to me that means a higher probability for a humane kill.  Every time I've harvested with it, the deer have not gone further than 30 yards.  It is for these reason why I hunt primarily with the crossbow.

The Parkers are the only brand crossbow I've shot, and I really like them.  There are some others that look really neat, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them out.  Maybe someone on the forums with a big enough piece of property would like to host a crossbow meet up.  Would be a great event for members to try out different gear and see how others are using their crossbows.  I volunteer Jack's and Jay's properties.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Get one and use it as another option. I have many rifles for the same reason, choice. Maybe on a cold day you can put on some extra layers and use the xbow. Or in a blind it seems to be more convenient for me because i meed less room than with my mathews. I made the jump last month and its another neat tool in my arsenal

Lots of good advice here. Like others have said, it’s hard to get an objective opinion cuz some people will defend/promote what they have like they have stake in the company. I have owned 11 different crossbows. From the less expensive PSE Fang(which for the money is a great one)up to Tenpoints and a little bit of everything in between. I can honestly say none of them sucked. Some were louder, some were wider, some just weren’t that comfortable to shoot. Ive settled on the Stryker Katana 385 for a couple of reasons. I like that I can decock it without having to shoot it which, really only puts a little less wear and tear on it. It’s very quiet. It came with a good scope so i didn’t have to buy one on top of the cost of the bow. But most of all, it fit me right. If you buy a name brand bow, i don’t think there’s really a bad one out there. You should shoot a bunch of them and once you decide on one that fits you best and has the features you want, start try different broadheads to find the one that flies best out of your setup. I know Tenpoint and Excalibur have lifetime warranty’s which is great. My Stryker has a 5 year warranty which isn’t as good but, in 5 years I’ll prolly want something else anyway. Crossbow hunting is really all I do. I hunt all seasons with it cuz my properties aren’t big enough to hunt with shotguns so, i don’t spend much on any other weapons.

You want an Excalibur. It's the best in reliable, accurate, quality, and price is not bad, compared to 1500 2000 10 point and Ravin. There is no advantage to a compound x bow. Someone will say an Excalibur is loud. Noise is meaningless. The deer don't react, and bolt hits at 30 to 40 yards at the same time you hear the ping of the shot. I have the matrix 380. People are often selling them at insane low prices on the other site.

Agree with all of the above.

The only reason, IMO, compound crossbows even sell, is because most guys enter the crossbow world directly from the compound bow world, and reason that surely compound crossbows must be better.

I was 100% guilty of that faulty logic myself.

Then I read up and did a ton of research, and there's no way in hell I'd want a compound crossbow.   I dont want to have to rely on other people for the most basic of maintenance and bow care.  

Excalibur all the way, and they have the best customer service in the industry to boot.   I once needed a screw......a SCREW mind you, so I called the company to ask for the proper size so I could pick up up at Lowes.  They wouldnt here of it!  They insisted on sending me screws (not just 1) for free, and they OVERNIGHTED it to me to boot!   I'm a customer for  life.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775