IGNORED

Getting The Itch To Purchase a Xbow

BHC

Do I have you confused with someone else, or werent you one of the, "crossbows are the source of everything wrong with the world, and if you use one you're worse than Hitler" crowd?

deffently not me, hunt with what you want within the law. I did say crossbows aren't for me at the time, but I would occasionally read up on them

I stopped by the Owl's Nest to inquiry about the Ravin, they aren't a dealer for Ravin, but have sold a few and have 6 on order, the problem is he said Ravin is so backed up on orders it's taking some time. He praised these crossbows, the bolts from Ravin are quality, and he did agree they limit one to using Ravin bolts only and he thinks that shouldn't be , he wasn't sure what brand if any the scope is but he said it's good. He wants one himself and it's also on order.

Reason is at this time he isn't a dealer for them is money, they want full price upon ordering a crossbow, where as others give the dealers credit 

As far as the Mission Sub-1, he said he has heard great things, he has yet to handle it, for one they are limited cause it just came out last month and he isn't a Mathews dealer

You want an Excalibur. It's the best in reliable, accurate, quality, and price is not bad, compared to 1500 2000 10 point and Ravin. There is no advantage to a compound x bow. Someone will say an Excalibur is loud. Noise is meaningless. The deer don't react, and bolt hits at 30 to 40 yards at the same time you hear the ping of the shot. I have the matrix 380. People are often selling them at insane low prices on the other site.

I know of at least one and in hunting situations it is a considerable advantage. Much more narrower limbs.

There are 3 types of hunters.

1)Those who use crossbows

2)Those who will soon use crossbows

3)Those who use longbows/recurves

3a) those who use both.

And yea yea yea many will disagree but face it, it’s either about being in the woods with the most effective weapon or being in the woods with a weapon that creates an old school feel and a great challenge. Compounds, while very effective are getting lost in between. While the extremes are gaining popularity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 3 types of hunters.

1)Those who use crossbows

2)Those who will soon use crossbows

3)Those who use longbows/recurves

3a) those who use both.

And yea yea yea many will disagree but face it, it’s either about being in the woods with the most effective weapon or being in the woods with a weapon that creates an old school feel and a great challenge. Compounds, while very effective are getting lost in between. While the extremes are gaining popularity.

I think you are stretching it if you think there are more people in the woods with longbows/recurves than with compounds. I think it has to be like 100 to 1, advantage compound.

Check out the Scropyd Deathstalker.  I've 4 different xbows and its' my favorite for the price.  It's 100% a hunting bow.  Light, pretty small, super-accurate, and great balance for shooting offhand.  

But, there are a million good ones.  I've kind of become a collector now.....

I think you are stretching it if you think there are more people in the woods with longbows/recurves than with compounds. I think it has to be like 100 to 1, advantage compound.

No I said they are gaining popularity. There is a definite resurgence of hunters wanting that challenge. And you are right compounds dominate popularity. But there market is shrinking at each end of the spectrum.

The following is a good example of why I actually now have lightened up my feeling towards a crossbow...All summer my son was practicing with his compound and getting proficient out to 25 yards which would have been his maximum range at right around 54 lbs...Just before the opener he injured his wrist on his dirt bike, similar to last years football injury at the same time. I picked up a used Parker crossbow for $200.00 from a friend (who was upgrading to the new Mathews killer setup) This was bought just in the event that his injury would have kept him out of the woods....When I asked my son if he wanted to shoot the compound in the yard to practice it was like pulling teeth...He liked it but didn't love it...When I asked if he wanted to shoot the crossbow it was like "ABSOLUTELY!" 

The bow is enjoyable to shoot and he ended up taking one of his biggest bucks ever with it a month ago. Made a surgical double lung shot and the deer went only 40 yards. I discussed the scenario of putting the crossbow in his hands with several good friends and ultimately decided this. If it keeps a kid involved in the woods and he or she is having fun, whether it be a compound or crossbow, that is the goal of the season in my opinion. I actually have taken it on stand and have to say that it is different, not necessarily easier than the compound. Each has its positives and negatives for each hunting situation. If a person is able to be in the woods, they should shoot what they want if it is legal. To force someone, especially a youth hunter to use a specific bow is not what hunting should be about. 

Good luck and have fun researching your new purchase Joe. One word of advice. Make sure your wife knows that the Ravin is a bow that is similar to a mortgage payment to eliminate any domestic violence  situations in the house in advance. 

Edited by LPJR