IGNORED

Stocked wma's

Bones

What's everyone think, seeing more or less birds this year.

I want to take my pups out on off days I live close to one of the smaller wma but I don't know if I should drive to assapink (spelling I know) since it gets significantly more birds.

How's everyone's season going?

They stock the same number every year although they changed allocations last year to be more equitable to the central and southern WMAs.  The only increases or decreases happen at the very end as they empty Rockport of any extra birds they may have.  Otherwise, they more or less nail the numbers until then.

That said, I fully realize the northern areas saw the bulk of the birds for decades, but changing it so drastically really angered a lot of us up north.  I haven't purchased my stamp this year as a direct result.  We still have all the same numbers of hunters, but nowhere near the same amount of birds.  They should have cut it back over a couple of years IMO.

When they had the meetings to discuss this, not a lot of guys showed up for the North. I don't agree with the allocations and said so at the meeting. That being said, I think the State does a good job with the stocking "overall" and 40 dollars is a real bargain!

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege 

When they had the meetings to discuss this, not a lot of guys showed up for the North. I don't agree with the allocations and said so at the meeting. That being said, I think the State does a good job with the stocking "overall" and 40 dollars is a real bargain!

Holding the meetings in the south keeps The Northern guys home.  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I no longer purchase a stamp.  It was bad enough dealing with the crowds up north when the birds were there, but with the allocation change it's just not worth it.  I'l spend that time in peace hunting squirrels.  If I get the urge to hunt pheasant i'll schedule a morning at one of the preserves.  It's not about the money. 

They had three meetings, South, Central, and North . The North meeting was held at Pequest . 

Thanks, I am in Monmouth County. and no longer do any Hunting  :cryingcry: When I did I attended a few meetings that were worthless. but that is just my take on what came out of those meetings.

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Hopefully spreading the birds out will spread the hunters out... Been 3 years since i last hunted in NJ and 3 years ago Black River WMA was so packed on stock days is was just down right dangerous.. I got shot once.. Gun pointed straight at me.. Good thing I was about 40 yards away..

:D

Hopefully spreading the birds out will spread the hunters out... Been 3 years since i last hunted in NJ and 3 years ago Black River WMA was so packed on stock days is was just down right dangerous.. I got shot once.. Gun pointed straight at me.. Good thing I was about 40 yards away..

Yikes I definitely don't want to see a crowd like that

I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow I may hold back until the big push clears out

I went out opening day at Manasquan. There were about 75 hunters all lined up at the end of the field and when the clock hit eight, it was like a scene from the revolutionary war. It was stunning to see the amount of missed shots! There were 160 birds there and it’s not a big place. I can pretty much guarantee there were no more than 100 birds taken by the time I left! After I limited, the dog flushed a cockbird which flies right in the middle of a literal circle made up of about 20 hunters. It must have had Kevlar feathers because 10 to 12 shots later, it finally went down! So I keep going, making casual conversation with guys as I make my way back to the truck. One guy complained about the cost of a pheasant stamp. I reminded him that if he went every stocking day and bagged just one bird that would be about $5 a bird. Going to movie cost about six dollars an hour just for the movie!It shouldn’t be about the money or the number of birds, it’s about the experience.

1sm260gun1.gif