IGNORED

11/4 am check-in

HamiltonR&G

Seriously how is it on tv you grunt they come on a string... i grunt and they circle down wind every time

I've only been hunting for 4 years, but I turned 1 buck with a grunt,,,,,,,1! Maybe I just, blow!

Edited by Lphunsjr

Heard a single buck grunt a little after 5 and saw two distant bodies about 45 minutes later. That was it. Was a very peaceful and pleasant hunt though.

I've only been hunting for 4 years, but I turned 1 buck with a grunt,,,,,,,1! Maybe I just, blow!

Not bragging, but I consider myself pretty good at calling in deer (or lucky).But I'll tell you this.... If they have their mind made up on where they're going, you're almost never going to change it. I've written volumes about calling on here and the old site, most or all of it I would still stand by. Calling deer has always worked very well for me, so if you read some of my tips, I believe you might see a difference.

I will add this too though. Calling can wear out a spot very fast. One hunt and you can ruin an area.

Think about it; You give a great calling sequence and a buck hears it. If he doesn't come right then, he will usually come later. Usually right at or after dark or an hour or more after you stop calling. Seen it happen many times. They come in right as I'm packing up, or an hour or two after I called (midday). What does he find when he investigates later? Your human scent. = Educated.

Thats just one of the many reasons I always suggest hunting new spots and properties, especially if you get aggressive on calling.

I call a lot less than I used to. I now prefer to put more thought into each setup and just let things happen naturally. More of a silent, surprise attack approach. Calling tips them off too much in some cases. There are still times it works though.

Good luck! 

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear