IGNORED

Interesting Cancer rankings by State

JHbowhunter

NJ is 7th worst, and Kentucky is #1 the worst!  Maybe not so coincidentally, Kentucky has the highest rate of smokers.

This is rather informative - if you care about this stuff.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/10/the_states_with_the_highest_cancer_rates.html#incart_river_home_pop

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

While statisticians could analyze this info for weeks, using broad brush strokes I see the crowded, industrialized northeast is high in cancer whereas the mountain states often are not.  Kentucky has out of control smokers and lung cancer, and those 2 obviously directly correlate.  I was surprised NJ ranked low on smoking, but not entirely surprised.  You just don't see near as much smoking these days.  

Kentucky has out of control smokers and lung cancer, and those 2 obviously directly correlate.  I was surprised NJ ranked low on smoking, but not entirely surprised.  You just don't see near as much smoking these days.  

I'm not surprised to hear that, as smoking is also inversely correlated with education attained.

NJ = #5 of 50 states  in % adults w/college degree

KY = #46 of 50 states in % adults w/college degree

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

I like this story (link found at the bottom of the story you linked) because it might come in handy for some of our more adventurous members (thinking of Rusty on homebrew).

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/10/how_much_are_your_limbs_worth.html

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Fact......40% of the residents of NJ will get cancer at one point in their life's. That comes from the Cancer Center in Morristown, NJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't NJ have the highest amount of toxic sites? I know that I live near the old Dupont and Ford sites in Pompton Lakes.

Edited by Tarhunt

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

I like this story (link found at the bottom of the story you linked) because it might come in handy for some of our more adventurous members (thinking of Rusty on homebrew).

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/10/how_much_are_your_limbs_worth.html

So my daughter's college education won't be "an arm and a leg", but rather just an arm?  Great news!   :rofl:

0.14 % difference in total cancer rates per 100k from lowest to highest is pretty negligible in my eyes.

That's one of the more frustrating things when you see the media and their "statistics".  When you rationalize the data, it's really not that sensational.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

0.14 % difference in total cancer rates per 100k from lowest to highest is pretty negligible in my eyes.

Well here is one that will open your eyes. Go visit a Cancer center in NJ. You would be shocked on how many people have this scourge. If I had known then what I know now I would have left this State years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The data given is virtually worthless... while one can look at it and conclude percentage of smokers is a major factor another could conclude the further east u live the more inclined you are to get cancer.. Bottom line, one state has to be worst and one has to be the best.. 0.14 % don't mean squat...

:D

The data given is virtually worthless... while one can look at it and conclude percentage of smokers is a major factor another could conclude the further east u live the more inclined you are to get cancer.. Bottom line, one state has to be worst and one has to be the best.. 0.14 % don't mean squat...

. I agree with u and NJSOG when u look at it that way that is not enough of a spread to cause any sort of red flags. Bottom line - cancer sucks so to quote Tim McGraw “Live like you are dying”.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….