John B

Matrix 380 dry fire

I goofed tonight. Cocking rope handle slipped out of hand and wham! I had shorted up the cocking rope, so it stopped the string a few inches from the bumpers. Guess the rope took some of the energy. I inspected the limbs and bow, nothing I saw wrong. I fired a test shot dead on, normal sound. I got lucky.will be super careful, or just buy some decock bolts.

Rub a cotton ball along the limbs.  That will snag even the smallest sliver if there is any damage.  Not likely, tho, because Excalibur limbs are tough.  But if there is a problem, Excalibur will make it right pronto!

When it happened, I smelled a burning smell. On close inspection what happened was the Cocking rope was pulled tight into the groove. When the handel slipped the string pulled the cocking rope through the groove fast it melted the other layer of the cocking rope. This friction slowed the string speed and the shorter than normal cocking rope stopped the string a few inches away from the bumpers. I guess this was not a full force dry fire.more like letting the string down very fast! I am lucky.

Edited by John B

What's amazing is how long crossbows and archery equipment in general have been in use.  There is evidence that archery dates back 2.6 million years. 

• Agree 1

Rub a cotton ball along the limbs. That will snag even the smallest sliver if there is any damage. Not likely, tho, because Excalibur limbs are tough. But if there is a problem, Excalibur will make it right pronto!

Rub a cotton ball along the limbs. That will snag even the smallest sliver if there is any damage. Not likely, tho, because Excalibur limbs are tough. But if there is a problem, Excalibur will make it right pronto!

I inspected the limbs in cocked position running fingers over all surface area. No splitter. Only rough spot on camo that was aways like that. Edited by John B