IGNORED

Where do you want to retire?

JHbowhunter

I was in Andrews, NC for the eclipse and loved it.  TN was about 30 minutes away as was AL and GA.  I would move a little further NW from there, but it was real nice.  I strongly suggest a car or motorcycle tour of the area around there.

I may get down there next summer. We have friends who just moved to the Greensboro area and we'd like to get down there to see them for a few days. I was thinking of heading west to Ashville afterwards and seeing some of that area as well.  

My wife has family in Cincinnati and some more family in Lexington KY and they all absolutely love that area.  Maybe I'll turn the trip in to a 2-3 week excursion and really see the area  

I had a couple of friends who went to Nashville for the eclipse.  They liked the city a lot

Edited by not on the rug

Forget about the Northeast, actually the east coast period. Pacific Northwest has most of what the OP described and more

I have family in Portland OR, who moved out there 25 years ago and are never coming back east.  I also have some very good friends who have toured the pacific NW quite extensively and love it.  They're even considering a move to Vancouver

If you look up the fish and game laws of Oregon they have it all...........

I would surmise the one deer they have the others don't, is the blacktail.  But the Whitetail, Mule deer, and Elk hunting could not compare to say Montana, etc.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Im no where even close to this now as I am 27. My biggest issues is where to buy a permanent house where I will be able to hunt in my yard. Trying to find that now and move by March of 2018   

Just buy 15 acres in Harding Township - you won't be disappointed in the hunting (but might be on the price and taxes)

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

A guy I work with retired 4 months ago after 25 years on. He sold everything and bought a house in New Hampshire for he and his wife. Now, keep in mind, he is not the outdoors type.  Not  a hunter, not a fisherman and really did not like the cold weather when he was here.....We all think he is in for a huge surprise, and we suggested that he better start planning for large amounts of snow removal.  

My goal is to no longer commute on Route 80. At ALL. In 5 years I can pull the chute and get involved with something closer to home. However, if at all possible, we would absolutely love to retire in Utah. Our kids fell in love with everything about it when we were there on vacation last summer. The landscape, people, way of life, slower pace, all of it.  Yes, please!

I live in a condo close to there now but yes I know the price and taxes are crazy! 

Home prices crazy, taxes not at all......(This is compared to neighboring Mendham Township) where the same 20,000 square foot house is 100k plus in taxes. Same home in Harding is less than 25k. One elementary school, High School kids go to Madison next door. I only wish the Great Swamp was not in Harding. Many biologists I have spoken with feel that the numerous bouts of EHD especially in the last 10 years are attributed to the swamp. I could never afford to live in Harding. Actually enjoy Sussex County for the reasons Jack mentioned.

Edited by LPJR

Looking at Colorado For the mountains and I love hiking and it will be easy driving to Wyoming and Kansas 2 places I love to hunt. During the winter months we will go south to Florida , Arizona and Texas and rent during the winter months. We figure renting during the winter months allows us to stay in different states year to year giving us options without owning another house. Who knows we might find a place we really like and return there every year. That's the plan but really who knows. I know I won't stay here and pay these high taxes. I looked at a house in Colorado the other day 2000 square foot log cabin 12 acres taxes $650 a year. Yup crazy $6000 less then I pay now. That's an out of state hunt right there.

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

I would surmise the one deer they have the others don't, is the blacktail.  But the Whitetail, Mule deer, and Elk hunting could not compare to say Montana, etc.

Nope, they have whitetails, blacktails, elk, pronghorn, cats and great fishing both salt and fresh

Wyoming or Idaho.  Probably Wyoming.  Jackson or Wilson, if I have the coin.  We love it there.  Maybe Montana, but California has basically annexed it and all the Cali assholes are ruining it and driving up the prices.  Colorado is out for me too - getting way to liberal.