IGNORED

State to stock 10K fewer birds!

GhostBear

Plenty of birds for those who want to hunt. If you put your time in you are duly rewarded. I don't know why the state posts numbers or even stocking days for that matter.( if you ever hunt wild birds out west you don't see anything about numbers) People only get their shorts in knot thinking they will go home empty handed. At 40 bucks, the stamp is a bargain for those who truly like to hunt pheasant. In the past I have seen a few double up( whittingham) or even triple up(Flatbrook) on bag limits because of easy pickings close to the parking lots, when questioned you get the old "I gotta get my money's worth"  now, that is something to complain about. 

Like I have said before I have hunted black River for 20 year last year was the worse year ever .now before anybody says any thing I am usually the last one to leave. I hunt with my dog or on my own. Like said before if they wanted to send more bird to other places that's fine .but sould have raised more birds . There where days that there should have stocked but no birds at all. The state is going to loose alot on guys if it does not change. I have to work more this year and with the word of less birds I my not buy a stamp. Black River also famous for over shooting and before light. Guys walking around before light trying to shoot bird in trees. They need to get the Warden in there and clean it out. I have seen him in parking lot but not in the field.

Want Quality Pheasant Hunting  For $375,00 membership than pay as you go Standard hunt $138. 3 birds Single hunter $174. 3 birds any birds over $12. each. Want them cleaned $3.25 each.

Member hunts multi hunters  10 bird Minimum $26. each.

Check out "Game Creek" my numbers may be off. so do your research.

Did not call but my experience with these Game Farm is Membership ( FUll ) select days for open hunting only. 

Photos from the site  

2258078_orig.jpg

6014724_orig.jpg

6817102_orig.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Just talked to Cranberry Hall Farm Cookstown, NJ. 609-694-7069

They sell Live Pheasants and Chuckers. 

Pheasant Males $11,75 Females $10.75 

No Minimum 1 on up.      No need for Hunting to enjoy them. 

Why can they Raise and sell at this price make a profit and The NJDFAG has a problem Once saw a claim on what it cost them and was very close.  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I think ones perspective is based on if your area was helped or hurt with the new pheasant allocation and how many years you have been hunting. The numbers don't lie, there will be a 50% reduction in birds at many WMA's in north Jersey compared to 2015 numbers.  With fewer birds the state has increased the areas that they stock.  The state should take another look at their stocking practices, reduce the areas they stock, do away with 1 of the mid week days.   Stop putting birds out in the first field from the parking lot, this would be a start.  For me its all about bird density, or flushes per hour.  

I am not a big bird killer, I like to work the dog, if he does everything right I will shoot the bird.  If he doesn't I let the bird fly, pick it up later or let someone else have at it. For me it's not about what you kill, ground shooting, or out of trees, or banging away at a passing bird is dangerous and turns my stomach.  But I would like the dog to have a reasonable number of bird contacts.  I look at the bigger picture of Upland hunting in NJ, there are somethings that should be addressed.   The cover in the north should be improved, mowing lanes through the nasty stuff is BS hunting and dangerous.  I cant get into most dog training areas preseason, they don't mow them out and there isn't a good field to work near the parking lot. Can anyone tell me why do we have a Grouse and Partridge season? 

I live 10 minutes from Clinton, I can't train there and I don't like to hunt there and last year the bird numbers where down a lot.  So I travel one to two hours each way to hunt, some days I pass 3/4 WMA's.  Along with everything I said I just get pissed off with stupid stuff the state dose, Why would you plant that much Sorghum in the dog training area at Pequest, you cant walk though it? Why would you stock fields that are on the road or around homes or in a safety zone?  

I'll end it here and take the dogs out for a run, Good luck everyone enjoy the season!!!

My issue is simply this, when the stamp was $20 they where able to consistently release over 60k birds, then some years it was 56K, and there were plenty holding over for guys that hunted non stock days or the afternoon, now the stamp $40, and they can bearly make 50k? And now I'm hearing they can't even raise birds anymore? Like they forgot how? And now this season it's only 45k, they had better get thier act together. Or they are gonna get an ear full fro ticked of hunters, when your buying a stamp numbers count, for one simple fact is you can't hunt what isn't there, especially is they are wiped out in the first 5 min.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

A little off topic but I will say this until I'm blue in the face. The state needs to stop announcing the stocking days! That's the only way the experience and safety factor will improve. Stock the same amount of birds per week, but pick a random day and time out of the 7 days in a week and the first light firing squads will end.

I agree with this 100% ,,  also they should stock some in the off season . 

This was  my hunting today in Portugal we  reached our limit 2 Red legged Partdrige ( chukar) per huntter per day,  we could only hunt 2 days a week ( huting sesoan is from the first sunday ou thursday of Octuber until 31 of Dezember for chukar and Pheasent.) ,  this is so the birds could breed and try to multiply ,  Here there is no bird stocking done on public lands. The ones that do it are the clubes ( on private land) most clubs will release them in May  +/- so they breed and  became wild,  Some release the birds in the moring before hunting. In my case these were released in May . 22365328_354067298387248_700231321873420