IGNORED

Bucks sparring

CJ3a

Can you rattle bucks in this time of year or only during the rut?

My opinion, yes, you can rattle bucks in almost all season, but you have to know what intensity to use. From velvet shed to mid octoberish, I would use much more social type calling. Just let them know "deer" are over here. Some light antler clacking, a grunt, rub a bush or tree, break some branches. 

My most effective early season calling for bucks was always "rub calling".  

- I would crunch leaves or break twigs to sound like a buck walking. (can do this from a tree two ways which I'll explain)

- I'd let out a few soft grunts.

- I'd beat the hell out of a small sapling or tree branch (if in a tree) Bucks thrash the tar out of trees when they rub, so that's what I would recreate.

- One or two more soft grunts

- Fake deer walking sounds again. 

- Don't make another sound. *you can do this calling sequence again in about 2 hours (sooner if you can see far)

Adding in realistic sounds (not just calls) is what seals the deal. I actually keep the deer call sounds to a minimum, they're just thrown in to let them know what they're hearing is indeed a buck.

I make footstep sounds one of two ways from a tree. Lower something on my bow rope and "walk" it through the leaves. (basically lift it up and down to sound like footsteps) (I usually lower a rattle bag, but a branch or anything.... a flashlight, be creative) (just not anything that will clank a rock with metalic sound)

The other way is to get a dead branch and some dry leaves and crunch them by hand in the tree....harder to sound real, but it adds enough realism.

From the ground it's easy...just make it sound like a deer walking. During the rut, I've even trotted around while using a doe bleat. Guarantee I look like a total mo-mo, but it is extremely effective. Bucks come FAST! Just don't get shot.

Now calling won't typically work on a real old public land buck with a degree in hunter studies (sometimes it can)....but I found it works well on most bucks ~3.5 and under, even if heavily pressured and called to a lot.

Hope this helps.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear