IGNORED

Question for the handgun guys.

GhostBear

I've been passively looking at handguns, usually just under the case, as I'm not really ready to buy just yet, still haven't even updated my FID card from each when I moved to Flanders from Cliffwood in 2014 yet, will have to reapply for initial again I'm sure, but at any rate, was thinking about someday picking up a 1911, only issue is that I'm a bit weird in that for bow, rifle and shotgun I shoot right handed, but my limited experience with handguns being what it is, the feel better when firing LEFT handed, so are there any left handed or ambidextrous 1911's out there? Seems there are limited choices for the southpaw.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

1911 maybe the best choice for a left handed guy. I have a 1911 and from what I can remember there isn't anything on 1911 that would make a lefty using it difficult. Your safety will be on a hard side to reach when you hold it in the left hand but otherwise I don't see any problems.

Funny how one thing, the hand gun you need to go lefty. I do everything right handed but I play hockey left handed.

Edited by Lunatic

1911 maybe the best choice for a left handed guy. I have a 1911 and from what I can remember there isn't anything on 1911 that would make a lefty using it difficult. Your safety will be on a hard side to reach when you hold it in the left hand but otherwise I don't see any problems.

Funny how one thing, the hand gun you need to go lefty. I do everything right handed but I play hockey left handed.

well it's more that that with me, when I was a kid I was growing up lefty, my dad being off the boat from Hungary, meant that I needed to be righty so I was forced as a kid, though I do a lot of things righty, I do a good many things lefty now that I'm older, like shooting pool is lefty, chop sticks I can only do lefty as well finger snapping. Lol I also fish lefty, yeah I could get by with a righty in the left hand, but the safety, mag release and slide release would make it a pain, I saw a true southpaw 1911 on YouTube but the price tags was $5,200!!!!! Just a biiiiitttt out of my price range! Lol

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Go to a range that rents guns and shoot them all.  Do not assume anything until you've fired a bunch.  Shoot all models, all calibers.  Can't stress this enough when you're buying your first pistol.  The gun that you shoot the best and feels the best is the gun you should buy.

Glocks are designed to be shot lefty or righty.  They eject cartridges from the same side, but since a pistol isn't usually close to your face, it shouldn't make a difference.

I have a couple of Glocks if you want to go to the range and blast off a few rounds.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I'm a lefty and I have a Beretta 92FS. Has a reversible magazine release button (which I did reverse) and has an ambidextrous safety lever (its on both sides).

The open slide never jams - I've never had a F2E (well, neither a F2F for that matter - this gun never fails) - and never had a problem with ejecting brass getting in my way (though for handguns its less of an issue anyway compared to rifles).

The only issue is its got a large grip - so someone with small hands it might not be good. But that has nothing to do with left- or right- handedness.

Go to a range that rents guns and shoot them all.  Do not assume anything until you've fired a bunch.  Shoot all models, all calibers.  Can't stress this enough when you're buying your first pistol.  The gun that you shoot the best and feels the best is the gun you should buy.

Glocks are designed to be shot lefty or righty.  They eject cartridges from the same side, but since a pistol isn't usually close to your face, it shouldn't make a difference.

I have a couple of Glocks if you want to go to the range and blast off a few rounds.

I'll take you up on that after I recover some after the surgery, but I always like the look of a good old fashioned 1911, so I will likely get one down the line. But that doesn't mean it has to be my only one! Lol

Ghost, I agree with Haskell. Go handle and shoot a bunch of different pistols and calibers and see which you like the best. For your first pistol a 1911 may not be the ideal starter gun. The selection of semi-autos can be dizzying. If you have a budget in mind and purpose (target shooting, home defense, or possibly concealed carry), it may narrow your choices.

Hey, don't forget when you update the FID to also apply for handgun purchase permits.

Well, I don't travel much, so concealed carry is not an option in good old jersey! Lol, I want a 1911 because I want one some day, just need it in lefty! Lol I'm not opposed to going out and shooting different ones and down the road a bit I may get one more suited For CC but for now, I'm researching the availability of a 1911 in left handed.lol

..... I saw a true southpaw 1911 on YouTube but the price tags was $5,200!!!!! Just a biiiiitttt out of my price range! Lol

You can save a few bucks with THE CABOT "SOUTHPAW" ..... starts at $4000. Wow! A lot of money. lol

Good luck in your search. I go to the Cherry Ridge range with my Springfield 1911, if you ever want to try it out.

Edited by BothBarrels