IGNORED

Boating in NJ requirements (registration, licensing, safety course)

A lot of questions arose on a member's 10' john boat for sale thread, so I thought I would add this helpful link here:

https://www.boat-ed.com/abc/abc_specific_images/pdfs/nj_law.pdf

Here are some takeaways, it was good to refresh because I definitely had some wrong.

You don't have to register a vessel 12' or less.  All vessels longer than 12' must be titled, and registered.

You don't have to register a non-powered kayak or canoe.

A non-tidal boating license:

Issued by MVC, required for operating in Non-tidal waters, and must first present NJ boating safety certificate.

You do NOT need a boating license IF:

Operating a vessel with motor  (so a 10' john boat with a 12 volt trolling motor is EXEMPT)

Operating a vessel 12' or longer and powered by a motor or combination of motors of less than 10hp.  (ok this one caught me off-guard and is why they make motors 9.9HP instead of a 10HP. ) This means you can operate a 22' patio boat with a 9.9HP motor - without a license.

PWCs have their own requirements - not gonna list here but it's in the link. 

Here is where it gets interesting:

OPERATING A NON-PWC "Moterized" vessel.

You have to be 13 or older.

If you are 13-15 these are the only vessels you CAN operate and only if in possession of NJ boating safety certificate:

- vessel powered by electric motor. (does not specify size)

- any vessel 12' or longer, and powered by motor

If 16 or older operating any motorized vessel - must have in possession the NJ Boating safety certificate.

So my take is for 16 and older, you do need boating safety certificate to run anything with a motor - regardless. However you don't need license for a lot of common type vessels...

Link to NJ boater license and safety course information:  http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/boat-registration.php#NJ-Boater-License-Safety-Courses

I cannot find anywhere, a separate definition or category for electric motors - that would exclude them from being considered a "motorized" vessel.  So while you might not need to register a 10' johnboat with electric trolling motor, or even have a license for it - you do need the boating safety certificate...

If anyone thinks I missed or misstated something - please clear it up ASAP.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

A lot of questions arose on a member's 10' john boat for sale thread, so I thought I would add this helpful link here:

https://www.boat-ed.com/abc/abc_specific_images/pdfs/nj_law.pdf

Here are some takeaways, it was good to refresh because I definitely had some wrong.

You don't have to register a vessel 12' or less.  All vessels longer than 12' must be titled, and registered.

You don't have to register a non-powered kayak or canoe.

A non-tidal boating license:

Issued by MVC, required for operating in Non-tidal waters, and must first present NJ boating safety certificate.

You do NOT need a boating license IF:

Operating a vessel with motor  (so a 10' john boat with a 12 volt trolling motor is EXEMPT)

Operating a vessel 12' or longer and powered by a motor or combination of motors of less than 10hp.  (ok this one caught me off-guard and is why they make motors 9.9HP instead of a 10HP. ) This means you can operate a 22' patio boat with a 9.9HP motor - without a license.

PWCs have their own requirements - not gonna list here but it's in the link. 

Here is where it gets interesting:

OPERATING A NON-PWC "Moterized" vessel.

You have to be 13 or older.

If you are 13-15 these are the only vessels you CAN operate and only if in possession of NJ boating safety certificate:

- vessel powered by electric motor. (does not specify size)

- any vessel 12' or longer, and powered by motor

If 16 or older operating any motorized vessel - must have in possession the NJ Boating safety certificate.

So my take is for 16 and older, you do need boating safety certificate to run anything with a motor - regardless. However you don't need license for a lot of common type vessels...

Link to NJ boater license and safety course information:  http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/boat-registration.php#NJ-Boater-License-Safety-Courses

I cannot find anywhere, a separate definition or category for electric motors - that would exclude them from being considered a "motorized" vessel.  So while you might not need to register a 10' johnboat with electric trolling motor, or even have a license for it - you do need the boating safety certificate...

If anyone thinks I missed or misstated something - please clear it up ASAP.

Trolling motors come in 12, 24, and 36 volts. Therefore you need the certificate no mater the size of the boat which is what I posted already in another thread. NJ has got you covered to grab an extra few dollars for the kitty

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Just finished the two day course US-Boatsafeus.com two nights or one full day , great instructor and not a bad sit ! 60 question test , 75.00 preregistration or 85.00 walk in , however they offer a 10 dollar money back voucher to reduce the walk in fee !

Edited by Sotaroas

Most important things to remember:

-Red is bad

-Green is good

-PFD's are a must

-Gilligan lives with Bambi, unicorns, and the little guy from Lucky Charms

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I posted a link to the actual statute in another thread but a canoe or kayak does not need to be registered, motorized or not. I even asked DMV about this... motor or not, no need to register. Seems people r confused about that, even my instructor of my boat safety class was unaware and taught the class a motorized canoe or kayak needs to be registered. But the statute and DMV told me otherwise.

See https://www.njwoodsandwater.com/topic/11406-registering-a-canoe-without-paperwork/?p=154346

Edited by mazzgolf

Putting a motor on a canoe or kayak seems to defeat the purpose.

Buy a friggin boat, buy a truck to pull it, buy a Yeti 110 iced down with some Silver Bullets

Edited by Bucndoe

Putting a motor on a canoe or kayak seems to defeat the purpose.

Buy a friggin boat, buy a truck to pull it, buy a Yeti 110 iced down with some Silver Bullets

You had me up until the "silver bullets" part.

Real men brew their own beer and harvest the hair that it grows on their chest to knit sweaters for poor kids.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Real men brew their own beer and harvest the hair that it grows on their chest to knit sweaters for poor kids.

Take that one up with Chris Janson

• 1 year later...

Does a 17’ non-powered canoe or kayak need to be registered and have to have safety certificate to operate 16 and older????  If yes, what is the maximum size were you don’t need a safety certificate and/or registration ?? I am in New Jersey...:)🎸🎸🎸

Edited by Curious

On 8/17/2017 at 9:13 PM, Haskell_Hunter said:

Is that what I am supposed to do with all that hair? I have been using it to make yeti costumes.