2023 NJW&W Christmas Dinner at Pub199 on December 15th! Click here for more info and to RSVP! ×
IGNORED

2000 Johnson 70hp Model J70PLSSD- Wont Start

I just got a 2000 Johnson 70hp Model J70PLSSD that's on a 17' Logic cc from an uncle who passed away. It ran great when I got it home a week ago. Went to start it up the other day when I turned the key I got the initial beep, when I turned the key further to the right there was nothing except an audible click in the trim relays. Trim wouldn't go up or down and starter wouldn't even turn.

Just prior to this start attempt I took the wires off both batteries. Its an inline 24 volt system with a perko battery switch. I cleaned up the terminals and changed any corroded ones. I took pictures before I unhooked them to make sure I put them back on the right terminal.

Could I have fried something?

I ordered new trim relays and a solenoid. What else could be the issue here?

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

Double check all battery terminals.When you turn the key to the first position you are drawing no amps but when turned to start you will somtimes make a bad connection relivant.Has to be a wiring or bad connection as it started before.

Hunting and fishing is not a sport to me its a way of life:rock:

Double check all battery terminals.When you turn the key to the first position you are drawing no amps but when turned to start you will somtimes make a bad connection relivant.Has to be a wiring or bad connection as it started before.

That's what Im hoping for!!! lol

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

It could just be a case of bad batteries that are now hooked up and draining quick.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Clean the battery terminals and then tighten them with a pair of pliers. That should fix the issue.

I cleaned the terminals with a small Dremmel with a wire wheel. There shinning and tightened down

is it plugged in>?

Plugged in how?

change the switch and solenoid. switch can have corrision.

check for small leakages

go on line view free motor manual for trouble shooting

Already have manual from pop. All switches were cleaned. Leakages where

Test the voltage at the battery while you are turning the key. The voltage drop will tell you if your batteries are good or not. 12.7 means nothing unless you test it under a load. I know it sounds primitive but tap the starter and solenoid with a wrench while someone has the key turned, when starters sit for a period of time corrosion sets up between the starter motor brushes and the armature creating a "dead spot". Also are you in neutral?

Hook your meter to the 2 small posts on your start solenoid and turn the key.if you have voltage with the key turned to the start position then the problem is the solenoid or starter. If there.is no voltage then the neutral safety switch is a likely culprit

Got it working!!! Something so stupid... I took all the cables off and cleaned them. While putting them back on the batteries the main black cable slid under the 2nd battery and I didn't see it the other day. Today I pulled the battery back out and started retracing and found the black under the battery unhooked. I hooked them back up and presto!!! The engine fired right up as well as the electronics. I was seriously pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the heck happened. Lesson Learned, check for ALL WIRING back to the batteries!!!

Thanks Guys for all the help...

Got it working!!! Something so stupid... I took all the cables off and cleaned them. While putting them back on the batteries the main black cable slid under the 2nd battery and I didn't see it the other day. Today I pulled the battery back out and started retracing and found the black under the battery unhooked. I hooked them back up and presto!!! The engine fired right up as well as the electronics. I was seriously pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the heck happened. Lesson Learned' date=' check for ALL WIRING back to the batteries!!!

Thanks Guys for all the help...

[/quote']

worked out palawman :cool:

work on motors for a few buddys and work can be a ballbusters. we all make mistakes we look at it to hard

my uncle be hooked up with all the fish he could eat. need to learn how to fish first :rofl:. heck of a gift. sympathies good luck lawman

worked out palawman :cool:

work on motors for a few buddys and work can be a ballbusters. we all make mistakes we look at it to hard

my uncle be hooked up with all the fish he could eat. need to learn how to fish first :rofl:. heck of a gift. sympathies good luck lawman

I don't quite understand what your saying but thanks.

I would rather have my uncle than a boat