IGNORED

Hidden Falls

Rusty

I see a really nice falls flowing directly across from the Douglas Trail parking lot in Worthington, in my Shad fishing travels... Looks like another nice hike.  I suppose it might flow out of Sunfish Pond?

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I see a really nice falls flowing directly across from the Douglas Trail parking lot in Worthington, in my Shad fishing travels... Looks like another nice hike.  I suppose it might flow out of Sunfish Pond?

I might have to check that out.  

I might have to check that out.  

https://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/douglas-trail.htm

I think the waterfall I see must be Garvey Springs...  It does say Douglas Trail can take you close to Sunfish pond...  Looks like it would be a nice area to explore.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

No, just walking.

We're going again next Saturday with a small group if anyone is interested.  We're meeting at Buttermilk Falls.  

Careful in that area.

I remember rattle snakes sunning in the middle of that road.

But then again, you'll just take more pictures of them. :up:

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

We will be hiking from Buttermilk Falls to Hidden Falls again this Saturday at 10:00 if anyone is interested.  Then we are heading over to A & G Tavern, the old Layton Hotel, for lunch.

Sounds like a great day , was up on the Appalachian trail today and passed a guy who started in Maryland and is heading to Maine Mt katetcheen where it ends, guy was like 60, really have to respect someone doing that solo, it got cold up here last night looked like there was frost on the grass this morning , well have a great hike !

Ok yup I guess I have that's why there hidden. I was at Hemlock Pond this morning.

Just curious, did you go into Hemlock from up top or make the climb from the bottom? There are some nice falls down low but by the same token that section makes for a bit of a difficult hike.

Just curious, did you go into Hemlock from up top or make the climb from the bottom? There are some nice falls down low but by the same token that section makes for a bit of a difficult hike.

Up top but have done from the bottom near buttermilk falls

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Sounds like a great day , was up on the Appalachian trail today and passed a guy who started in Maryland and is heading to Maine Mt katetcheen where it ends, guy was like 60, really have to respect someone doing that solo, it got cold up here last night looked like there was frost on the grass this morning , well have a great hike !

Yeah, the through hikers are starting to show up.  My neighbor did it twice by himself.  

We will be hiking from Buttermilk Falls to Hidden Falls again this Saturday at 10:00 if anyone is interested.  Then we are heading over to A & G Tavern, the old Layton Hotel, for lunch.

Rusty, for your information if you drop one vehicle off at the base of buttermilk falls and get everyone in the other vehicle drive about 30 minutes to crater lake parking lot elevation about 1200 ft, walk around the right side of crater lake to the back and it hits the APPALACHIAN TRAIL , turn right ( heading towards Maine ) go about a half mile and you will see the hemlock pond sign , go about another mile north on the AT and you will see the buttermilk falls sign , well it's 2 miles to the falls from that sign and it's all DOWN HILL ! The first mile and a half from the parking lot of crater lake is maybe 200 ft elevation change so you don't even feel it , pretty much flat ! Well reason I'm suggesting is my buddy took his wife from buttermilk falls up the mountain to hidden falls and she told him she's never going hiking again!!! Well just suggesting it cause if you have some newbies with you it is a tough slog ! Also after a nice 4 mile hike it's nice to finish with the view of butter milk falls !!! Now if your in training for some 14,000 feeters in Colorado then throw some rocks in your back pack and go for it, great cardio ! I try to hike smarter not harder, have a great time !!!image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

Rusty, for your information if you drop one vehicle off at the base of buttermilk falls and get everyone in the other vehicle drive about 30 minutes to crater lake parking lot elevation about 1200 ft, walk around the right side of crater lake to the back and it hits the APPALACHIAN TRAIL , turn right ( heading towards Maine ) go about a half mile and you will see the hemlock pond sign , go about another mile north on the AT and you will see the buttermilk falls sign , well it's 2 miles to the falls from that sign and it's all DOWN HILL ! The first mile and a half from the parking lot of crater lake is maybe 200 ft elevation change so you don't even feel it , pretty much flat ! Well reason I'm suggesting is my buddy took his wife from buttermilk falls up the mountain to hidden falls and she told him she's never going hiking again!!! Well just suggesting it cause if you have some newbies with you it is a tough slog ! Also after a nice 4 mile hike it's nice to finish with the view of butter milk falls !!! Now if your in training for some 14,000 feeters in Colorado then throw some rocks in your back pack and go for it, great cardio ! I try to hike smarter not harder, have a great time !!!  

That's a great idea 1190, thanks.  :up:  :up:

• 1 month later...

OK, you guys up north really have it good. Took the day off today and me and the wife drove 2.5 hours to the Gap to look at waterfalls. All of these were beautiful - we don't have anything like this down here in the south, not that I know of anyway.

We hit Dunnfield Creek first...

dunnfield-creek.jpg

then drove up to Buttermilk Falls. Well, we TRIED to drive to Buttermilk Falls - as you see in the pic below, a tree fell (must have happened in the past 24 to 48 hours) and blocked the road about a mile south of the Falls. We had to park the truck and walk up Mountain Road the rest of the way. It is a tall climb to the tops of the falls, too!

tree-buttermilk-falls.jpg

buttermilk-falls.jpg

And thanks to Rusty we walked a bit more north and pretty easily found Hidden Falls. It wasn't a bad hike at all. Funny story - We walk up Mountain Road and once I find the spot I tell my wife - "Hey! There's the hidden path I was told about! Let's go! The Falls should be back here" to which she says, "No way! I'm not going in there! It's all overgrown - there's ticks in there!" :shock: Mind you, we just drove 2.5 hours, just walked about a mile and half from where the truck was parked by the downed tree, and its the last falls we are going to get to see because we can't drive any further north. And she doesn't want to walk just a couple hundred more yards because the path is yucky.  :headscratch:

So I had to leave her there and walk about 50 yards up the path to scout it out - I saw that the path wasn't as overgrown once you walk in a ways - so I came back and like having to coax a scared puppy I needed to convince her to come along. "Come on! It's not that bad - the path opens up and I can hear the falls, its not far!" She ended up going and found the falls after probably a 200 or 300 yard hike up the hillside - I think she's glad she went, bugs be damned! :rofl:  Falls were cool and it was awesome because no one else was around. I don't think anyone knew these Falls were here (there were at least a half dozen people we saw at Buttermilk Falls and no one walked up north up to Hidden Falls).

Anyway, here's a pic. You can see even the camera can pick up that the wife is an angel with the glowing halo around her body. Well, either that or it is my crappy dumb phone can't take good pictures with bright sunlight coming through the canopy.  :laughing:

hidden-falls.jpg