IGNORED

PA opener on Penns Creek

TDietz

My Brother had his heart valve replacement surgery last Monday, and he was doing well by Friday, so some friends of mine were heading west and invited me to go along, so I did! It was great to be on the water again after being away from it for about 10 months. Water levels were a bit high and temps were a bit low, and it had a bit of color to it, but it was perfect as far as I was concerned. The 5 of us fished the special regs areas mostly, caught a couple stocked rainbows but mostly wild browns that averaged 12 inches, nothing real big was landed, but all of us had fish on for 5 to 10 minutes that we never saw before the hook would pop. Over the course of 4 days  I would estimate that we collectively "hit" close to 800 trout with about half that many landed. Insect life there is phenomenal, Brachycentras were everywhere, saw some Hendriksons, couple Stoneflys, but very little topwater trout feeding activity. I still don't have taking photos of fish with the smartphone figured out....this is an average Penns Creek wild brown, the males seemed to have more color.

20170415_083744.jpg

This was my view at 8:00am on opening morning looking upstream

20170415_082103.jpg

downstream

20170415_082057.jpg

Grannom caddis

20170414_175152.jpg

without me, my rifle is nothing

Beautiful area TDietz.  You ain't in Jersey no more.  

and that is really driven home when you the Amish. Such a time-warp. We drove by an Amish school that had about 30 carriages parked in the lot, and the students were outside having "gym class", in their full Amish garb, playing volleyball.

It was all good, can't wait to go back

without me, my rifle is nothing

• 4 weeks later...

My Brother had his heart valve replacement surgery last Monday, and he was doing well by Friday, so some friends of mine were heading west and invited me to go along, so I did! It was great to be on the water again after being away from it for about 10 months. Water levels were a bit high and temps were a bit low, and it had a bit of color to it, but it was perfect as far as I was concerned. The 5 of us fished the special regs areas mostly, caught a couple stocked rainbows but mostly wild browns that averaged 12 inches, nothing real big was landed, but all of us had fish on for 5 to 10 minutes that we never saw before the hook would pop. Over the course of 4 days  I would estimate that we collectively "hit" close to 800 trout with about half that many landed. Insect life there is phenomenal, Brachycentras were everywhere, saw some Hendriksons, couple Stoneflys, but very little topwater trout feeding activity. I still don't have taking photos of fish with the smartphone figured out....this is an average Penns Creek wild brown, the males seemed to have more color.

attachicon.gif20170415_083744.jpg

This was my view at 8:00am on opening morning looking upstream

attachicon.gif20170415_082103.jpg

downstream

attachicon.gif20170415_082057.jpg

Grannom caddis

attachicon.gif20170414_175152.jpg

That river looks truly amazing.  The caddis on the tree just shows how much life is in the water.  What a great place to fish.  Love PA,