IGNORED

Fly Fishing Equipment

Silver Belly62

Well since there seems to be some experienced fly fishermen on here, what would be a good starter setup (rod/reel) for someone just getting into fly fishing ? Such as size of reel & rod and any other misc equipment that might be needed. Been kicking the idea around of getting into the sport for a while but have no idea equipment wise what you really need or what make of equipment is any better than the other, etc

Edited by Silver Belly62

Well since there seems to be some experienced fly fishermen on here, what would be a good starter setup (rod/reel) for someone just getting into fly fishing ? Such as size of reel & rod and any other misc equipment that might be needed. Been kicking the idea around of getting into the sport for a while but have no idea equipment wise what you really need or what make of equipment is any better than the other, etc

What species of fish would you be after and where?  That dictates what length rod to use as well as the line weight.  For example, if you're chasing bluegills in a farm pond, an 8 foot 2 or 3 weight rod would be fine.  But if that pond has largemouth bass of any size, you'll likely want a 9 foot long rod for a 7 or 8 weight rod.  For trout in NJ, either a 4 weight or a 5 weight rod will do just fine, length of 8 1/2' is about the perfect all around rod for NJ streams.  

If you go to one of NJ's fly shops, you will be able to cast different rods to see what feels best to you and you will receive knowledgeable and local advice which the big box stores seldom can provide you.  Also, most newbies would be shocked at the prices from the local shops compared to a Cabelas, for example.  Local shops can and do compete well.    

For trout the rod I use is a 7' 4/5wt rod, for line I used a weight forward, or a floating line, not the best for nymph fishing, but with a 6-7' leader, it works well enough, I'm no exper by any stretch, but the only "nymphs" in my box were some caddis, pheasant tails, and the infamous GLO bug, for dry flies, it was BWOs in various sizes, some caddis, and my favorite, the Griffeths knat!!

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Ramsey Outdoors in Roxbury or Tight Lines in Parsippany are two local shops up north I would recommend.  I'm not familiar with Shannon's, but i'm sure they can set you up also.  

Tell them how you plan to use the equipment, where and have a budget in mind as it can easily get out of hand fast with regard to cost.  You don't need a lot to start off, if you get into it, then start to pickup the extras.

http://www.tightlinesflyfishing.com/

Silver,

Here is a quick and dirty way to cut through all of the confusing crap out there.

Weight Rod size:   Fly Hook size

1:            16-28

2:            14-28

3:            12-26

4:            10-26

5:            6-24

6:            4-20

7:            2-14

8:           1/0-12

9:           2/0-8

10:         4/0-2

11:         5/0-1/0

12:         6/0-1/0

Now to add in some more basic confusion:

The length and thickness of the diameter or size of Tippet....

(Heavy Tippet)  Short and heavy for bass poppers and windy conditions.

(Longer & Lighter Tippet)  Longer and thinner for smaller sized flies.

Lines of heavier weights can easily throw smaller flies easily.

BUT, you need to experiment and find a compromise in casting.

Example:  You would not use an 9 foot, 11 weight rod to catch wild Brookies in the backwood streams.

Common sense will tell you the rod is too damn long and heavy to cast a very short distance with very small flies.

Can you do it?  Well, yes, but the heavy weight splash down of the line on the water would cause problems.

Basically you would not use a clothes line on a broom handle with 3 feet of tippet to catch Brookies.

Can you do it? yes, but....

There is a trade off on what the gear you need to do and what you want to use the gear for.

Think of it as those poor folks who play (cough, cough) golf.

Each golf club has a special purpose. Same thing for fly rods.

Every fly fisherman has a handful of different rods for different purposes. 

Fly rods for sunny's, fresh water bass, Surf fishing Blues and Stripers, Spring stream Brookies, all the way to marshmallow eating rainbow stockies.

Do some basic research for what species of fish you are most interested in catching.

Buy a simple combo package.

Try playing around with your new setup, and give it a full season to force you to learn the basics.

It takes time, and a little learning curve just like anything worth while.

If I be of further assistance, feel free to contact me.

Bill

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Silver Belly where you at. I'm in Clifton and have

Eagle Claw 8 1/2' graphite 2pc flyrod, line size 6-7 Fishin Hole mod. FH300 w/ a used plugger medalist reel rod used for a few hours.

also will throw in a southbend flyrod and non famous reel.

DB Dunn duo Fly rod case. Holds(2) Fly Rods and Reels Case- 57" from Cabella's like new

Also 5 fly boxes with nymphs, wet's and streamers. including a orvis case with weighted nymphs. most new

Pd about 3 bills looking for $80. for all. plus a blood not tyer that's in my vest. PM cell for pics or appt. to look at.

Edited by jerseyhunter

This is my first year fly fishing and so far I love it and hate it at the same time. lol So coming from a newbie....My advice is, if you're unsure about sticking with it or on a limited budget, I highly recommend the setups from Wild Water Fly Fishing to get started. 

Decent quality for very little money and the kit comes with all the basics you'd need to catch some trout. I landed a beautiful wild brown my first time out with just the stuff from the kit. Since then I've added a few sizes of tippet and a bunch of other flies and stuff. 

I ended up going with the 7' 3wt because I mostly plan to stalk/fish for wild trout in the local small rivers and streams and most are very tight with lots of trees and stuff to snag on. I also figure I can get a 9' 5wt for the bigger rivers eventually. Can't see myself using fly gear for anything but trout though. I like regular tackle for bass, walleye, etc...

Anyway, give it a look....I'm very happy with my setup so far and I've caught a few really beautiful fish.

http://www.wildwaterflyfishing.com/

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Silver Belly where you at. I'm in Clifton and have

Eagle Claw 8 1/2' graphite 2pc flyrod, line size 6-7 Fishin Hole mod. FH300 w/ a used plugger medalist reel rod used for a few hours.

also will throw in a southbend flyrod and non famous reel.

DB Dunn duo Fly rod case. Holds(2) Fly Rods and Reels Case- 57" from Cabella's like new

Also 5 fly boxes with nymphs, wet's and streamers. including a orvis case with weighted nymphs. most new

Pd about 3 bills looking for $80. for all. plus a blood not tyer that's in my vest. PM cell for pics or appt. to look at.

Thanks for the offer, will keep it in mind