IGNORED

Striking gold on the South Branch

Bucksnbows

Wild browns can clearly grow to 20" and beyond here in NJ as those photos prove, but the only way we'll ever see them in any numbers is to limit any creeling which some will not want.  I think the Division's new proposals, especially for wild brown trout special regs waters on the upper South Branch, will begin to help in this area.  It also means that the Pequest Hatchery can stock the same # of trout, approx. 600,000, into fewer miles of river.  That means there will be something for everyone, unless they stop stocking a section of a river that has both wild and stocked fish that you like to fish stockies out of.  But I think in time, anglers will learn to find the type of water they like best whether filling a stringer or only catch and release or somewhere in the middle.  

Me?  I'm a wild trout snob.  I prefer to dry fly fish to big, wild trout of all three species and release them to fight another day.  But I also know and fully support that others just want to catch fish and bring some home to eat.  It's all good.  New proposed regulations will increase the special regulations waters for our wild trout, and that I support strongly.  In the meantime, get out there and fish!

:flyfish: