IGNORED

Greenwood

hage.230

Went to greenwood this morning. Another scorched earth policy. Found one fiend towards the center that was not burned and found one small covey of quail. My white dog came out looking like he had stripes. Do not know how the English Setter Club can hold its trial the week after next.

Scorched earth policy? Fire is necessary for the survival of the pines and a controlled burn allows for the forest to bounce back much faster than from a full on forest fire which can destroy the forest for years instead of months. These controlled burns are crucial to prevent wild fires and to keep wild fires that do occur in check. Burning also gets rid of ground waste (pine needles/leaves and sticks) and promotes the growth of new plants which is necessary for a healthy and thriving wildlife population. The forest fire service is predicting a particularly bad wildfire season due to the low snow fall and subsequently low moisture level of plants and ground waste so they are doing a lot burning this year to try to suppress the amount and severity of wildfires this year. If you see the guys out burning thank them for improving your hunting habitat

How much did the burn and what is the reason for the controlled burns?

They burn for fire control and keep the pines pines. Without fire the oaks would take over pine forests. It would probably take a generation but it would happen. Plus the burns clear forest litter so if a real fire starts there is less fuel. The bird areas of Greenwood and the mills are burned more frequently than other areas in the pines

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I agree with the managing of the forest to prevent forest fires, living in Lacey we have had some big fires over the 34 years I have been here.  The only thing is as far as quail management it is not necessary to burn every year. I minored in Wildlife management in college and worked with a man working on his PHD in quail management for my senior project. The most successful quail project is on Tall Timber Quail research center In Georgia has almost 2 quail per Acre. They due a three year rotation burn, the property there looks a lot like Greenwood.  I due like the fact that it does a great job controlling the tick population.  It is strange that they do not burn as much closer to the houses where a forest fire would do the most damage. Most of the land burned is public land.

Edited by hage.230