IGNORED

What rod/reel setups you guys have when trolling for lakers?

An 8 ft down rigger rod for 8-17 lb test is plenty.. Get a reel with a line counter as it is easier to set your lures back off of the ball. I run 4 inexpensive okuma blue diamond 7 1/2 footers with magda 15dx line counters.. Good for all trout in rv..

>>>>--------------------->>

I use 7' Ugly Stick Pro Lite medium action rods with Okuma Epixor EB30 bait runner reels. The bait runner feature is handy when lowering the ball using the downriggers when trolling and of course when bottom fishing with live bait.

The setup might be a little on the light side, but it works. I've landed some good sized lakers with it. I also have a pair of Daiwa AccuDepth 27LC reels paired with 8'6" Cabelas Depthmaster downrigger rods. They are a good option you can use for the reservoirs or if you fish bigger waters like the Great Lakes for the trouts. The set up is also able to deal with Salmon in the early season before the fleas arrive at Ontario. A bigger reel with more line capacity for 30# test and up would be required to deal with the fleas later on in the summer.

This 21# Atlantic Salmon was caught in Lake Ontario using this set up with 12# test Stren. I caught 30# Kings using a similar set up on a friends boat.

IMG_3268.jpg

That's pretty cool. Are they naturally reproducing there or are they stocked?

Joe' date=' they will not be stocking Merrill Creek anymore as the Lakers are naturally reproducing. I don't know about Round Valley, but I think that is the same there. Spruce Run does not have any lakers as far as I know, unless it is a best kept secret....It does have hybrid striped bass.:up:

Nice Alantic I seen one caught early this year on the salmon river that the lady released unharmed.They are beautiful fish and you mount is awsome

Thanks SB! There are guys who have fished Lake Ontario, Lake Champlain, and Lake Winnipesaukee, NH all their lives and never came close to one that size. What is that saying about the blind squirrel....:)

Here is a video of that day. I was by myself testing a new trolling device for jet pump motors. Would have been nice to have a cameraman

http://www.youtube.com/embed/b1pqTkaTP8E