IGNORED

Roadkill Deer

is that true

No.  There is a good flight in late October thru November.  Some days on Raccoon Ridge, upwards of 25 are counted in a single day.  We usually catch 2 to 3 during a banding season.  Compare that to just 2 immature Balds in 35 plus years that the research station has been in existence.  I wish I could find some pics of the days I was lucky to be at the station on a Golden Eagle day.  The females are huge.

Last roadkill I picked was along Millstone River Road.  I saw five dead deer that day.  Problem is, I live in Sussex County and I rarely get down that way these days, and I'm driving that far for a dead deer.  And the woman who is running the project is really far north in Sussex and most of the time I gotta drive the deer to her house.  It's a bit of a PIA.  But, she is the Master Bander who holds my sub-permittee license and who is also giving my daughter an internship this summer, so I help out when I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rusty. Those were cool pics.  I had a RS at my home every year from Dec to Feb for 3 years and she waited for me to throw her a piece of chicken every day to the point where she would take it out of my gloved hand. Haven't seen her since but seeing her up close like that gave me new respect for hunting skills.  What a killer.