IGNORED

Snowy elk (pictures)

Matty

So my brother, our friends and I are planning a DIY elk hunt this fall out West. Just us, bows, tents, and millions of acres of public land. Since I've had "elk on the brain" for a few months now, I got around to digging up some of my elk pictures and scanning them in. Some of these have been posted before, some have never been posted and there are a ton that I haven't even got around to scanning yet.

Figured I'd share a few.

Enjoy!

Bull.jpg

Bull1.jpg

Bull2.jpg

Bull3.jpg

Bull4.jpg

And one that's a bull, but not an elk...MOOSE!! This picture is from my cousin while he was out elk hunting.

Bull Moose.jpg

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No I hope we don't see any snow in September Kroil. lol Mild to cool temps is what I'm hoping for so I don't die going up and down the mountains, but not too cold so I don't freeze to death in my bivvy bag.

These are just pictures I've taken from trips to view elk in Winter months, I have some Spring pictures of bulls in velvet too but haven't scanned them yet.

I also have tons of cow photos and some September wallow trail cam photos....but who know's when I'll get them added on here.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Hopefully you will find your bull. This is an early season rifle bull. And it was hot when I was there a full three weeks after the archery season

008_8-4.jpg

I hope you find the bull of your dreams. Good luck and good hunting to you.

Udaho....I mean Idaho...Someones a ho.

Kroil, outstanding bull!!! Congrats!!!!

My major dillemma is....if we are on elk, do I shoot the first animal I have a chance at? I mean, I love elk meat, I'd be happy with a cow or rag horn as freezer filler! BUT....In another way, I would rather hold out for a great bull like any on this page. (the way I've always looked at hunting here, be it turkeys, bears, or deer....you can't shoot a big one if you shoot the first little one you see)

For you guys that have done DIY hunts on public land for elk, what do you think? First shot presented on any elk? Or hold out for a decent bull?

I do hope to make this an annual/semi-annual trip like my cousin does. So there should be future trips to look for bigger elk. My cousin goes out every year and he takes elk pretty consistently so part of me hopes we'll meet with the same success if we aren't too picky (which then leads me to be picky....vicious cycle. lol)..... We are also fortunate enough to have a friend that lives there and he puts boots on the ground scouting and he's going to hunt with us. He was on some good bulls last year so....Again, I'm leaning towards being somewhat selective.

Regardless, I'm sure it will be a blast. (minus the suck factor of hiking up and down big mountains every day).

Glad you guys liked the pictures. And seriously Kroil....awesome bull man! I'd poop my pants if that stepped into range!

I went on my first elk to Wyoming this year (guided) and made up my mind on a least a 5x5. I got a 6x6 on the 3rd morning, but.....it was guided and I saw what was around. On a DIY I would base it on what elk you are getting into and what opportunitys you are getting. It is nice to bring home some meat. I love elk meat. I'm going to New Mexico in Sept.2014. Can't wait. Kroil awesome bull.