IGNORED

Books about deer.

So? I've been thinking on this now and again, how many of you folks have read books about deer or turkey that didn't revolve around hunting? What I mean is, when you first heard that deer like white oaks over red, because they were sweeter, did you go deeper? Like why?

Growing up, my dad fished, but did not hunt, my mom was opposed to me showing interest in it, but obviously I wasn't deterred!!!

So I started to read up on the subject, my uncles and grand father hunted, but we're told by my mother they weren't allowed to spark or encourage my interest in hunting, so I read about it in the usual places as I got older, once I hit my teens my mom gave up trying to keep me from showing interest but still prevented me actually hunting until I moved out on my own.

Anyway, I digress, now I used to read books and magazines about HOW to hunt deer, what to look for and the techniques involved in getting close, but I got fascinated about the deer themselves, I wanted to know why they did what they did, why they ate what they ate? So, I stared reading case studies and papers on the biology of whitetails, and wild turkeys, their evolution, and how they came to be what we see today.

Much of it is written in science lingo, with very big PhD like words, and admit I had to look a few up in the dictionary!!! All part of the learning process I guess. Lol.

Over the years I found a series of books about deer, and deer research, broken down and written for the layman.

Those books were titled "Seasons of the whitetail" this is a four book series about what deer do during different times of the year, and why they do it. The author is Jon Ozoga, and to me codified all the research material I've read over the years.

So? How about you? Read any good books lately?

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Steve Bartylla and Jeff Sturgis have some great books on whitetails. Its geared towards hunting but you can learn a lot about the year round activities of whitetails.

I will read just about everything I can get my hands on.

Learn a little here, a little there. Learn lots in the field

www.liftxrentals.com

50 Years a Hunter and Trapper by A.R. Harding

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

As a kid I would go to the local library and read books about deer, wildlife and hunting, but I couldn't tell you who the authors were or the name of the books. As I became a teen and started working part time I would buy magazines like Field and Stream, Guns and Amo and Bowhunter.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Yeah, that's what I did starting out, but I'm talking books about the biology and habits of whitetails, without the hunting componate. I'm mean learning what a deer is, and how it got to be the animal it is today. But I will say, the books I read about the biology did in fact give me some insight on how to hunt them. Lol but was fascinating to read about not THAT they do what they do, but WHY they do it.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

When I was a pre-teen through about age 17, I was a sponge reading every fishing and hunting mag or book I could find...   I can't get through any of the magazines anymore, they are just regurgitate what I already know and the advertising is just ridiculous. I basically don't read at all anymore.

I have always heard that any Bobby Worthington book on whitetails is about the best most informative book for the deer hunter.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

This book is about a majestic deer in his life cycle and splendor. And has been read through the decades. It has been said that even Leonard Lee Rue read this book when he was younger. Helping him along his way in photographing and writing about new jersey monster monarchs. And this book has nothing to do with hunting deer but more about one particular Deer's nocturnal journey from state to state every December. 

74c4fcf5d6d412e2b389b0a0774b1b96.jpg

how many of you folks have read books about deer or turkey that didn't revolve around hunting?

Anyway, I digress, now I used to read books and magazines about HOW to hunt deer, what to look for and the techniques involved in getting close, but I got fascinated about the deer themselves, I wanted to know why they did what they did, why they ate what they ate? So, I stared reading case studies and papers on the biology of whitetails, and wild turkeys, their evolution, and how they came to be what we see today.

I don't find "hunting" books particularly useful, but I do read books & article about whitetail biology from deer researchers, for exactly the reasons you outlined in the bolded bit above.  

The hunting books I've looked at tend to be filled with rampant speculation, and even often repeat things that are "teaching" people stuff that has been scientifically proven to be false.  The writings on whitetail science, however, are 100x more useful.   To give an example, I read about the whitetail's visual capabilities and learned how it differs from human vision, and that affected the type of camo I'd consider buying, and it gives me a lot more confidence in when and how I can (or cant) move in the presence of deer, as well as alerting me to whether or not the deer has initially confirmed me as "spotted" or not.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Hunting The Four Periods Of The Rut by Dick Idol is an excellent book. Although it is geared towards hunting it breaks down the "why" they are doing what they are doing and opens ones eyes to the actual time length that things happen in a bucks year, especially when it starts and ends

AWM