IGNORED

Tarhunt v savage 220

nmc02

Thanks I appreciate it. I already shoot those Remington Accutips but different results, kind of I get frustrated cause I already shoot almost everything out there on either 3”” or 2-3/4” . With the Accutips at 75 yards, the best 2” group. I don’t call it waste of money but I already upgrade it with a McMillan stock, help a lot with the kick, don’t care about the weight cause either on Illinois or Kentucky normally I sit at a blind. Now when I get in touch with Tarhunt they ask me whether I choose to chamber the barrel on either size or and specific one, any advice?

Hunting deer most slug guns will do, the target is huge. I think most people buy the $3500 guns for the way they look and feel and I am sure they are nicer than $600 guns. 
Guys hunt farm raised birds with $6,000 guns, don't day? I looked at high end folding pocket knives and they were anywhere from $450 to $35,000. Yes $35,000 for a pocket knife:shock:

https://www.williamhenry.com/knives/b12-spearpoint/spearpoint-high-seas-6819.html

Edited by Lunatic

I agree with most, don’t think you need it, if you’re an experienced shooter you should be getting good performance from the 220, if not, something isn’t right, or your shooting skills are lacking (no offense, just speaking in general terms). 

However, if you opt for the Upgrade, the reason shooters realize slightly better (very slight) performance with the 3” slugs, is there is no extra room in the chamber for the 2.75” slug to “rattle” slightly before entering the barrel. 

So if you get the designated 2.75” chambering it should be as accurate as the 3” gun, in theory anyway. 

17 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Hunting deer most slug guns will do, the target is huge. I think most people buy the $3500 guns for the way they look and feel and I am sure they are nicer than $600 guns. 
Guys hunt farm raised birds with $6,000 guns, don't day? I looked at high end folding pocket knives and they were anywhere from $450 to $35,000. Yes $35,000 for a pocket knife:shock:

https://www.williamhenry.com/knives/b12-spearpoint/spearpoint-high-seas-6819.html

I was gonna buy one of these pocket knives, but unfortunately they are out of stock 

17 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Reminds me of a first day small game hunting many years ago where we came upon a guy decked out to the max like he was an LL Bean model. He was carrying a beautiful expensive shotgun to go with the look. A nice enough fellow who showed us a, "Pretty nice pheasant hey fellas?" as he pulled a hen bird from his vest. Shaking our heads, we had to tell him that shooting hens was a no no.

Anyway, he stuffed the bird back in his coat and asked if he could walk the field with us.back to his car. On the walk a couple of birds jumped up in front of him that my brother and I had to knock them down with our $100 pump guns after the man missed terribly with his fancy semi. The moral of the story is to this day is that its not the tools you use, it is how you use them.

Go with what you will. I love my 220, but that's not to say I wouldn't love a Tarhunt if I could afford one.

When I originally posted this, it was not to bash tarhunt owners. It was a simple question...asking if they were worth the cost. For the most part, I agree that you get what you pay for and typically buy more expensive rather than inexpensive because you normally get what you pay for. I contemplated buying a tarhunt many times. The limited recommendation on using lightfield ammo has swayed me from purchasing one.

Randy Fritz the man behind TarHunt, has become a used car salesman......He knows he can't compete with Savage for the price tag and accuracy. He now offers a BS upgrade to the Savage 220, how much better can this shotgun be accuracy wise? I honestly think he has the upgrade for two reasons.....take advantage of all the owners of 220s, and to promote his new slugs that he sells for $50 per 10 rounds

I emailed them, asking how much more accurate can my 220 be with the upgrade they offer with a picture of my my target group with Acccutips at 100 yards, never got a reply

You will get better accuracy when someone designs a better slug not a barrel upgrade.  If you want to squeeze better accuracy out of your gun (or any for this matter) try a sims barrel deresonator.  This piece of navcom material set in its “magic” spot can control barrel vibrations tightening up groups dramatically for about $20!  The most important upgrade to most any gun is it’s trigger, not the barrel.  A crisp clean breaking trigger is essential for long range accuracy.