IGNORED

need advice for first handgun purchase

Kype

title says it all, looking to purchase my first handgun. i filled out the paper work along with a change of address on Nov. 17th, police dept called yesterday morning on the 17th told me they are ready for pickup. was amazed how fast it was. my wife just started her initial id process and within one week all her references already got their form in the mail!

anyway, i have had my ID card now for 8 years or so but never bothered to purchase a handgun. my work gave me a very hefty christmas bonus and i have 3 permits now to purchase. obviously i know i can only purchase one per month so im looking for my first now. dont really know where to start because theres so many options. 

i think i want to stick with 9mm for my first. its cheap ammo and easy to shoot at the range. semi auto? revolver? i have no clue lol. 

i would rather buy new, but if anyone is selling i may be open to purchase used. 

Since you have 3 choices I would add 22 cal Pistol Target bull Barrel I have S&W revolver my  Daughter a Ruger Target  Semi.   Makes for more relaxing shooting at the range. I mounted a Red Dot on mine my daughter stayed open Sites.     Good luck.

When I applied for Pistol I had to put on the application what I was ging to Buy with it has that changed?

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Glock 19. The gen 5 will be coming out in January if you wanted to wait. Just like said above, they are not expensive, and not pretty in any means but they work know matter the condition. If you want a smaller frame the glock 43 they came out with is a great little gun. More of a carry close encounter gun. The all purpose for target shooting imo is the G17 and G19. They are 9mm, ammo is reasonable and you can make a lot of modifications to both gun very cheap. But it all really comes do to what you like in your hand. Different a$$ for every seat.

There is nothing wrong with a Glock. I am not a snob or Glock hater. But handle a Kimber, SIG, or a Beretta and see/feel the difference. My 1st and only handgun is a Kimber I bought new in the late 90's. It's perfect in every possible way.

Rather than pick a caliber before you shoot the gun, shoot a few first.  You want to understand how you recover from recoil.  With a handgun, it's not the first shot that always counts, it's more so the follow up shot(s) that count.  More recoil makes it difficult to recover and get back on aim.  So a caliber and gun with a manageable recoil should be the first thing you think about when you're purchasing a pistol.  Make sure it feels comfortable in your grip when you're looking at them in the store.  If you know people with pistols, go to the range and shoot them while they're there.

I picked a .40 S&W Glock 23 Gen 4 as my first pistol.  I can handle the recoil real well and the gun is weighted nicely to absorb some of it.  The .40 is a little larger than a 9mm and it packs a slightly larger punch.  I can find a lot of ammo for it, but obviously not as much 9mm.

I have a tiny Glock mouse gun, a 42 in .380 auto.  It fits right into your pocket and it shoots like a Glock.  It is a little fussy with the ammo it eats, I've had a couple of stovepipes and other case-ejection related issues.  I think the spring might be too tight, so I'll blast it a few more times to work the spring.  Ironically, I don't shoot that pistol well.  I find it to be too light for me. The lack of weight causes a trigger pull issue that causes me to shoot down-left.  But I bought the gun more so for the women in the house.  It doesn't recoil as much as the G43 9mm, so they can get back on target quickly after the first shot.

A pistol is a tool like anything else.  Think of the purpose for that tool, and it'll make your selection process a little easier.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Rent a couple of guns at the range and see which one you like.

For home protection, I have a revolver. It is the one situation where if you have a misfire, you can just press the trigger again and keep shooting.

yep That is why I have a Sawed Off pistol grip 12 side by side 00 buck on hand Messy yes effective yes.  Oh and chose Left or right Barrel.  :stirring:

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Not a big fan of Cheap. I figure I'll own it for the rest of my life and I'd like to to out last me. Bottom line is You have to like it. I don't own a Glock but do own Sig, Beretta, S&W, Colt and a few others.

I'm the only one who said anyting about "cheap", so maybe you were referring to my post.  Cheap as in low cost, but not in performance.  Like you said there are so many quality choices out there, just pick one you like. :up: