IGNORED

Ground blind scent control

MTH

I've got this 8 point that is new to one of my locations. Obviously he's got a really bad back leg. Now that he's located the bait, he visits regularly. Mostly in dark but occasionally in legal hunting light. I'd like to hunt him today. But the spot is bad for the SSW wind we have today. It's a ground blind and will only have 1 window partially open. Bait is at 50 yards but the main trail is just 20 yards from the down wind side of the blind with today's wind. Do you think it's worth the risk? I'm tagged out with bow and if it's not this afternoon I won't be hunting again until January 2 weeks from now.

Hunt it? Or Don't ?

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

It would be great to end his suffering.  Can you set up against a tree downwind of the trail?   

There's no way to set up down wind with the area as thick as it is....there won't be even a remotely clean shot....the area is a thick field with head high fire thorn, green briars, and Russian Olive with just patches of open ground in between.. The ground blind is tucked into the edge of an open patch and set for a standard NW wind...But today is SSW turning S.....blowing the scent cone directly at the bait and main trail through the thick leading to the bait...

I'm sure this buck is bedding in the field within 100 yards of the bait given his injury and his frequency at the bait site....he's there almost all night long...coming in right at, or just after dark, and staying until just before dawn

Based on the weather, moon, and diminished hunting activity over the past couple of days I would think that he would be moving before dark today.  Since it's the last chance until winter bow it can't hurt to sit your blind and hope for the best.  

I honestly don't worry about scent in a blind.  These are NJ deer and most of them are used to some human scent.  You could burn a scent stick in the blind if you're really worried about it, just don't set yourself on fire.  I've had deer literally brush up against the blind while I've been sitting in it.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I honestly don't worry about scent in a blind.  These are NJ deer and most of them are used to some human scent.  You could burn a scent stick in the blind if you're really worried about it, just don't set yourself on fire.  I've had deer literally brush up against the blind while I've been sitting in it.

I just practice my normal scent control practices when I hunt from a blind.  The wind is usually swirling on that particular side of the mountain but I've killed a boatload of deer  from that spot anyway.  I've had them brush up against the blind before too and I had a doe approach it a few years ago and try to look in the side window at me.

Just do what you'd normally do and you should be fine.   

One spot where my son hunts I have one of those Record Rack Berry blocks out.  Well one day when the wind was bad I took another block and put it in the blind with him.  They really give off a strong odor and maybe it helped cover his scent because he had deer all around and none of them winded him.

I agree. I had the Little Buddy propane heater on high when my son shot his buck on the last day of gun week. 10 does and the buck didn't even look towards the blind even at 15 yards away.