IGNORED

HIPAA Law

not on the rug

Does anyone know any good resources to use to find info on HIPAA Compliance law?  

Long story short, my executive Director has tasked me with becoming our company's HIPAA Compliance Officer and making our organization HIPAA compliant.  Lucky me.  

I've found some resources online so far, but would really appreciate some help from anyone with experience in this sort of thing.  HR people, Lawyers, etc.   

Thanks

HIPPA is touchy, we can't even post or text pictures from fire scenes even WITHOUT names, faces or addresses shown or written, but everyone else in the world can, so long as they're not fire, police, EMS(T) related. We can't discuss injuries obtained by victims or personnel. This is on advice from our solicitor so, pretty much means even HE doesn't understand the laws. My wife designs hospitals and knows HIPPA   pretty well (pretty much every doctor's office and hospital is non-compliant) and her suggestion is to take a class if you're tasked to make company policy.

The problem is theoretically being compliant is easy, actual compliance is impossible so you'd have to know the laws then adjust them for your company's use. Logistics is usually the brick wall .

Example: If you can hear the receptionist at your doctor's office ask another person what their social is, what their insurance is, what they're there for, what meds they're on, if they got the flu shot or pretty much anything, they aren't technically compliant.

Problem is, how many offices have the kind of room to process patients in private rooms?

Don't know what you do, but in an office environment, this could be tough too as the HR person would have to have their own closed door office to be compliant to start.

Along with HH's advice, You could start here:

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/training/index.html

Edited by Leo801

Thanks guys.  I've been getting much of my info from the hhs.gov site already.  There is quite a lot to digest.  

Leo,

I'm planning on taking a class to get certified.  Preferably something online.  Does your wife have any suggestions as to which certification to get (CHPA, CHPE, CHSE or CHPSE)?  I'm going to be "the guy" at my company, so I was assuming the CHPSE would be the best.  Also, there are ton's of places that offer the training.  Does she recommend any source in particular being better than the others?

Haskell,

Any info you can provide would be helpful.  I'll obviously be working with the IT department here on getting things up to snuff.  Fortunately for us, we're already using One Drive (which we were told maintains HIPAA compliance standards) as well as another online resource, Therap, which is a HIPAA compliant service for the DD field.

Thanks again guys 

Haskell,

Any info you can provide would be helpful.  I'll obviously be working with the IT department here on getting things up to snuff.  Fortunately for us, we're already using One Drive (which we were told maintains HIPAA compliance standards) as well as another online resource, Therap, which is a HIPAA compliant service for the DD field.

Oh, you have a lot to learn.   :rofl:

Send me a PM with your work email.  I'll reply back with my work email and start feeding you information.  It will be overwhelming, but I'll answer any questions you have.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Oh, you have a lot to learn.   :rofl:

Send me a PM with your work email.  I'll reply back with my work email and start feeding you information.  It will be overwhelming, but I'll answer any questions you have.

Yeah. I don't know a damn thing about this stuff.  It has absolutely nothing to do with my education or career path whatsoever

HIPPA is touchy, we can't even post or text pictures from fire scenes even WITHOUT names, faces or addresses shown or written, but everyone else in the world can, so long as they're not fire, police, EMS(T) related. We can't discuss injuries obtained by victims or personnel. This is on advice from our solicitor so, pretty much means even HE doesn't understand the laws. My wife designs hospitals and knows HIPPA   pretty well (pretty much every doctor's office and hospital is non-compliant) and her suggestion is to take a class if you're tasked to make company policy.

The problem is theoretically being compliant is easy, actual compliance is impossible so you'd have to know the laws then adjust them for your company's use. Logistics is usually the brick wall .

Example: If you can hear the receptionist at your doctor's office ask another person what their social is, what their insurance is, what they're there for, what meds they're on, if they got the flu shot or pretty much anything, they aren't technically compliant.

Problem is, how many offices have the kind of room to process patients in private rooms?

Don't know what you do, but in an office environment, this could be tough too as the HR person would have to have their own closed door office to be compliant to start.

Along with HH's advice, You could start here:

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/training/index.html

Forget HIPPA, it's a 3rd degree crime if posting pictures of scenes is done by public servants

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."