Names have been picked

Who would have thought there is such a big demand for bear soap ???

There's always a big demand for free stuff!

Seriously though, my great grandparents made animal fat soap, and the stuff was awesome.   They'd make big batches of bars at one time and we had numerous pails of it in the basement at one time.   For reasons I do not understand, it was denser and lasted MUCH longer than the commercial soap in the stores.  One bar of that soap probably lasted 6 month.  She died in the 1960s, and we're down to about 2 or 3 bars left!   That's pretty amazing if you think about it that she's been dead for about 50 years, and the family is STILL using soap she made!

Edited by BenedictGomez
  • Agree 2

I've been wanting to do this for years.  Have been reading up on it for a long time.  Spoke with another site member who makes soap, just doesn't use bear fat.  Been collecting the supplies for a year (special pots, thermometers etc)  Found a recipe that I liked using Beef Tallow, Coconut Oil and Olive Oil and substituted the Beef Tallow with Bear.  It really was a long process when you have to start with rendering the bear fat and canning it, but it's also a very addictive.

So you're saying you are a bear fat junkie now? It was good of you to share your stash. :nerd:

• Agree 1