IGNORED

Pheasant Fields or Hedgerows

dog walker

I have been hitting the state stocked WMA's with a decent dog at the end of the day to avoid the crowds.  Clearly the fields are picked over, but since I have managed one bird per trip, I am fine with the late day outings.  

My question/survey is this: fields or hedgerows?  

I have predominately focused on hedgerows thinking the pressure has pushed birds there, but maybe that is incorrect.  I have seen birds flush in the distance on the fields on the way back to the lot, so maybe they are missed or circle back.  So what do you all think?

Late day pheasant hunt... fields or hedgerows?

Depends, sometimes I'll pick them up on fields but not often, hedgerows are better for me at least, and if you have a swamp near the stocked fields, they can be gold mines for birds pushed off and missed.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

What Ghostbear said.  I prefer the swamps in dry years like this one or when frozen and I can walk in them.  The latter won't be the case yet this year, but maybe later in the month if it stays cold for awhile.  Otherwise, run your dog along the hedgerows where the thick, nasty stuff grows and have a plan to prevent them from running to the opposite side and flushing wild.  Just be certain if your buddy is on the other side you can see each other clearly so you don't get shot.   

That's my biggest issue hunting hedge rows, I hunt birds on Mondays, the only day I get to hunt and the damn things keep breaking out the other side!!! Lol

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Once the crowds leave and things quiet down, the birds really move around trying to acclimate themselves. You have to realize all they know was being raised in a pen, and have no real world survival experience so they don't hide for long.   The morning after a stock day - the roosters will generally reveal themselves by crowing.  I am surprised by how many birds are around on the Sunday's I take my lab over to a WMA dog training area for a swim and retrieve session.  We then go flush a few birds.  Generally these birds are so uneducated that they don't survive long and get picked off by owls and foxes rather quickly.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….