IGNORED

Shooting Sticks - Rifle Shooting Recommendations

I'm going hunting with abuddy of mine who alread has several ground blinds set up in advance of my arrival but I've never seen the size of the blinds or the height of the shooting windows.  I've been shooting crossbows off my Caldwell Field Pod (tripod) with relative ease so I plan on bringing one of them down but the limitation with those is that they are not very mobile and they can be to short for certain blind windows.

I will be shooting a Savage M77 30-06 and I have never shot off a set of shooting sticks before so I was looking for advice on what I may want to pick up and any advice on shootong off of them.

If you have anything that you would want to sell, I live in Rockaway (Morris County).  SHoot me a PM.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by buckfever1974

I use a Primos mono pod and bi pod on my Georgia hunts and love them. I use the mono pod the most, if i am in a stand i stick it in my boot and it holds it tight, in a blind its nice and i have shot a bunch of hogs while standing and using it, follow up shots are nice and quick. I shoot a Ruger 300win mag and a DPMS 308

I usually walk into the woods, find a stick lying down, get my knife out and whittle me up a killer shooting stick on the spot.

Don't I wish.

Actually, I got this on sale from Midway.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/958103/primos-pole-cat-tall-monopod-shooting-stick

Light, easy to use, and works as advertised.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Make your own.

You can use oak dowels from HD or Lowes.

I used 3 lengths of bamboo harvested from a local patch, bike tire inner-tube and push on table leg feet, both from WalMart under $5.00 bucks, electrical tape around the two top sections where the rifle rests.

I made mine as tall as my height, cut one length of bamboo 5" shorter then the other two, lash together at the top with piece of inner-tube and your done.  Solid, sets up in seconds and light to carry.  The third leg is support and used to adjust height.  You can make shorter length tripods for sitting and knelling spots.  I like the tall ones for open areas and still hunting 

I use a Primos mono pod and bi pod on my Georgia hunts and love them. I use the mono pod the most, if i am in a stand i stick it in my boot and it holds it tight, in a blind its nice and i have shot a bunch of hogs while standing and using it, follow up shots are nice and quick. I shoot a Ruger 300win mag and a DPMS 308

I have the mono, bi, and Pole Cat by Primos, love the Pole Cat.

#bearcult

Primos trigger stick tripod is really a good rig. If you want to get a little crazy and spend a few bucks get a hog or pig saddle with a monfrotto tripod. Great long range  setup especially for deer or predator hunting, rock solid. This rig is now being used by our country's finest snipers taking care of business over in the sandbox.

Cabela's brand is about the same quality as Primos and Bog (I suspect one of those 2 manufacturers makes them for Cabela's), and costs less. 

All 3 of those are good choices though.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

get a hog or pig saddle with a monfrotto tripod.

Just looked that up, holy smokes, close to $400 for a tripod; that's definitely a 1st-World purchase!   And I thought I was bad with a $175 Caldwell Deadshot Magnum.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775