IGNORED

Computer Geeks, I'm In Need Of A Laptop

BHC

as long as you are looking in bestbuy, go to laptops and click on 5 star rated,  then choose between brands.  at work we use lenovo and they are pretty trouble free.  5 star laptops can be found in any brand and any price range.  hp, dell lenovo all have good ratings and lemons.  what options do you need?  are you doing intense calculations or just surfing the web.  maybe some word processing, excel, you probably don't need much so you can keep your price down.

Edited by SxSshooter

If you aren't looking for anything hardcore (like, if you need really fast graphics for gaming, or fast disks/SSD for software development) then I agree - any cheap 5 star laptop at BestBuy is good. We have a HP laptop the wife uses. I use Lenovo and Dell for work. I'm mainly a Linux user, not Windows, but wife uses Windows 10, it seems fine for her. No need to spend $1,000 if you are just going to use it for internet, email, and word processing and the like. To me, its only when you need specialized hardware like fast graphics, disks, CPU, when you need to spend that kind of money. Last time I bought a home computer for the wife and kids, I looked at BestBuy and found the cheapest one I could find that didn't have any bad reviews.

It's a decent laptop.  I have folks who love HP, and it'll do you fine.

If money is no restriction, the first thing I'd do is rip out the hard dive and replace it with an SSD.  That'll make the entire computer faster (much).  A 5,400 RPM drive is slow and energy efficient, a trade-off often done with laptops.  A 500GB SSD is about $150.

It does not have dedicated graphics memory or a dedicated graphics chipset. For 95% of people this is fine.  If you are a gamer or going to do some extreme graphics stuff, then you'd want dedicated graphics chips/memory.  This would also add about $200-$300 to the price of the laptop.

The wired network (Ethernet) is slow, but I'm a snob.  You probably don't have to worry about this.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Just curious about wired ethernet being slow. What's faster?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The laptop has 10/100 Ethernet.  Good for the 1990s.  Now most residential Ethernet goes up to 10/100/1000.  For nerds like me who move a lot of data over a network, wireless doesn't cut it, and Gigabit Ethernet is the way to go.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

The laptop has 10/100 Ethernet. Good for the 1990s. Now most residential Ethernet goes up to 10/100/1000. For nerds like me who move a lot of data over a network, wireless doesn't cut it, and Gigabit Ethernet is the way to go.

Got ya [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I just bought this same exact laptop except with twice the RAM (16 GB).  I find that as my laptops get old, I realize they have ample storage on the hard drive but lack processing speed, so I like to put some $$ there over other areas.  I haven't had the 17.3" size in many years and am looking forward to using a keyboard made for my sausage sized fingers over the 15" models.  BTW, you very well may find that laptop sold out already, so don't be surprised if you do.  I went to Costco, Best Buy and others before buying direct last Monday from HP.  All were sold out of that model with the faster RAM memory.