IGNORED

Foodsaver Tips?

Njkoren

I have been using the food saver for a couple years now for storing meat in the freezer. I have to say that it works pretty good but some times the seals break. I assume it's from the contents expanding as they freeze. You can see that the juices are getting sucked out along with the air, maybe that has something to do with it not sealing properly? Has anyone ever had this problem or does anyone have any tips that would help prevent this? It's a shame to question if the meat is still good.

I'm anal about preserving my venison. 1st I freezer wrap it and tape the packages, then I freeze. After the are frozen I vacuum pack and seal twice.  Some times the bags will get a puncture while frozen from shuffling around looking for something. If they do become undone it's no problem for me as they are freezer wrapped first. I once found a lost pack after 2 1/2 yrs and it was as if I had just harvested it that year.

While we do take the time to vacuum seal our fish. I don't feel it's worth the extra time to seal venison.

I wrap my venison tightly in heavy saran wrap.

Then wrap that in freezer paper Butcher style which pushes that air between the saran wrap and freezer paper out.

When by chance a pack makes it through to second year it has never been freezer burned and is like the day it was frozen.

I'm more a fanatic about the meat being put away blood free. And separate the packs so they don't touch until totally frozen.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Freeze first. Then seal. I do that with burger. When I grind it I put into sandwich sized ziploc bags. They usually weight right around a pound. Then usually within that month I then seal when I have time. Stack em like wood in the back of freezer. It's easier for me to do that way so I can see how many pounds I have left.

when i vac seal my burger

i make 1.25lbs meat balls, put them on a cookie sheet

freeze overnight

then vac seal

they last over a year, if needed. 

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association