IGNORED

0 - 2

Lphunsjr

Will be a much smarter buck next season. You need some kills under your belt to gain confidence, before you start "holding out" for bigger deer. The one thing I preach is shot placement and understanding angles... This diagram is about the best - always try to INTERSECT the green dot. By "intersect" I mean factor in your height above the deer, and the angle of which is it quartering. Avoid quartering "to" shots at all costs, unless its very very slight angle. Quartering away - much more room for error, and probably one of the more lethal shots. Just look at how much lung area there really is. Remember that the further back you hit the higher up you want to be, based on how the lungs taper up.  Good luck and stay with it.

Great info Jack. The last doe I shot was slightly quartering away and shot was right on. Deer dropped in 15 yards. Hit some of the lung and heart. I guess I got buck fever on that guy, but glad he made it.

I dont get near the same penetration with a mechanical as I do a fixed blade

I think where I hit this guy, a bullet would've stopped. I must have hit the knuckle, because it sounded like a bomb went off. I'm shooting NAP SpitFires, but think it was more the shot placement than the head

Friend just sent me a pic of a nice 7 w a limp. Glad to see the buck I shot made it! Hope I get another crack at him

Glad you got a pic of him after the shot, always a feeling of bittersweet relief.

Like Jack said above, the buck and you will be better for it next season. :up: 

I think where I hit this guy, a bullet would've stopped. I must have hit the knuckle, because it sounded like a bomb went off. I'm shooting NAP SpitFires, but think it was more the shot placement than the head

Some would argue the merits of a smaller diameter, solid steel single-bevel 2-blade fixed head on these scenarios.  The evidence is overwhelming in their ability to actually split bone.   Gobblengrunt  is one of the best bowhunters I know and all he shoots are traditional bows. (far cry in energy, from the modern compound and crossbows).   He has seen how a head like a Grizzly will split bone and get you the kill where other heads would probably not split.    The problem with shooting a longer profile head like this out of a high speed cross bow would be accuracy. Just saying these heads are designed to split bone in slower speeds, imagine if you could tune them to shoot out of a cross-bow?

42072x_500x330.jpg

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….