IGNORED

Log Splitters

not on the rug

Hey guys.  I'm in the market for a log splitter but don't actually know a ton about them.  Who makes decent ones?  I noticed a few brands run honda motors now, am I safe to assume that those are decent motors?  

22 ton/25 ton/27ton....is there a noticeable difference?
Does cycle time really matter since once you pop a piece of wood, you just manually cycle it back anyway?
Anyone have a used one in good shape that they're looking to get rid of?

I have heated with wood my entire life and never owned a splitter.  If you enjoy fresh air and exercise there's nothing more therapeutic than splitting wood.  The thing is to do a little each day, don't have the mindset that you have to get it all done at once.  

This bad boy is going on 8 or 9 years now and has split more than 50 chords.  It's my favorite tool in the shed.

log splitter.jpg

I hear ya on splitting by hand.  I love getting out there and swinging an axe or driving some wedges.  I usually do most of my wood by hand and then rent or borrow a splitter to take care of the rest.   I just wanted to add a fun new toy to my arsenal of toys and make the wood splitting more efficient.  I have a crazy busy life and a 2 year old at home and I don't know if I have the free time to split 6-8 cords of wood per year by hand anymore

i have a 35 ton. funny story. i went to buy a 28 ton and when i picked it up it was broken, so tractor supply gave me a 35 ton for the price of a 28 ton. good deal! i still have yet to see something my splitter wont split. i have a huskee. like rusty post, doing it with an axe is more rewarding IMO. i only bought a splitter because i was selling 5 cords a week after sandy hit. 

I bought a 28 ton huskee from tractor supply a few years ago and havnt had a problem with it. I split about 5 cords a year and it does fine with anything I throw at it, even gnarly oak crotches are no problem.

I use to split everything by hand but like you, 3 little kids took all that free time away.

Hey guys.  I'm in the market for a log splitter but don't actually know a ton about them.  Who makes decent ones?  I noticed a few brands run honda motors now, am I safe to assume that those are decent motors?  

22 ton/25 ton/27ton....is there a noticeable difference?
Does cycle time really matter since once you pop a piece of wood, you just manually cycle it back anyway?
Anyone have a used one in good shape that they're looking to get rid of?

How much wood do you currently use during a year ?

I bought a dirty hands 27 ton with a Kohler engine this summer from Lowes. It's an amazing machine. Cycle time is meaningless. 2 people work as a team. One operating the ram, the other picks up the logs. It's shocking how much you get done so fast. Watch YouTube videos on the different splitter reviews, great way to learn about them.

Edited by John B

I have a crazy busy life and a 2 year old at home 

Well you forgot to mention that one minor detail.   :rofl:

You should get a splitter.   :up:  :up:

Unfortunately I'm of absolutely no use whatsoever to your original question.   :lookaround:  

I have heated with wood my entire life and never owned a splitter.  If you enjoy fresh air and exercise there's nothing more therapeutic than splitting wood.  The thing is to do a little each day, don't have the mindset that you have to get it all done at once.  

This bad boy is going on 8 or 9 years now and has split more than 50 chords.  It's my favorite tool in the shed.

attachicon.giflog splitter.jpg

I do the same.  About 8 cords a year.  A little at a time.  I don't know about that wood handle though I think I would snap that pretty quick. My aim is a little off at times. lol

Edited by Nomad

Wood handles are the best for long term use. Get the biggest splitter you can afford and try to get one with a four way removal head. Also one with a hydraulic lift table really helps with big rounds.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

This was my best log splitter until he decided to work for the US govt. Now,  I split mine by hand myself or my youngest son splits it but, he's no Marine. I have a friend that swears by Timberwolf log splitters and I have used them in the past and they are awesome log splitters.

IMG_1199.jpg

Edited by Tarhunt

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

If you want a lifetime piece of equipment look at iron and oak timber wolf or ram splitter. I have a iron and oak and a ramsplitter with a 6 way and log lift can't be happier with my ramsplitter timber wolf a little to much money for not running a business since I am hurt the last 3 years my uncle and my self have been splitting about 15+ cords a year to keep ahead if you can find a buddy to go in with you get something bigger you can split all your wood in a few days with 2 guys we bust our buts in feb march and are done for the year and a few years ahead which you already realize and a lot of people don't get your self a moisture meter to check your wood also it would amaze you at how some wood takes so long to dry