IGNORED

Old, rotted, permanent wooden tree stands.........Great spots...

LPJR

While scouting today, I came across an old, dilapidated permanent stand that was barely holding onto the two trees it was originally built on. I have hunted this piece for the past 15 years and surprisingly it was the first time I ever saw this stand which appeared to be at least 20 years old....I stood there a few minutes, looked around and thought the same thought that crosses my mind every time I come across old stands........Man, what a spot this is! There was a reason someone took the time to build stands many years ago in the locations they are found in.

I asked myself why the stand was in the spot where it was. First, it was in a natural funnel surrounded by monstrous white oak and beech trees. New rubs, combined with old rubs on 8-10 inch diameter trees that were scarred from being hit year after year were numerous. Beneath the stand I found several old rusted empty hulls of buckshot and slugs combined. It made me think of my old shotgun stand that I built and used for many years. I trusted and knew that as soon as the 1st shot rang out on Opening Day, I would begin to see deer as they poured in from the surrounding farms. Many times by 9am I would have a good buck down. That stand and property has long passed and has been built on, but I still have one of the broken wood steps that I picked up beneath its tree and brought home with me. Looking at that step in the garage brings me right back to those woods on opening day.

Back to the spot today, I thought this is the spot where I would love to sit with my son during muzzleloader or shotgun week. I walked around in opposite directions scouting some more and each time I found myself returning the "spot" where the broken down stand was. There is definitely a reason why it was put there.

On the way home I picked up a double ladder stand at Dicks, started building it in the den at 830 tonite and just finished it prior to writing this.I forgot how time consuming and tedious they are to build, lol.

The new double ladder stand is going to go up in the same two trees the old stand was in. Many times over the years I have used my climber next to a similar old, dilapidated stands and always have thought, what a spot this is! As soon as I see deer and movement, I am reminded that it is not a coincidence or just a random tree the stand was built in...It was put there for a reason!

Edited by LPJR

Any time I stumble across old wooden stands like that I take a minute to check out the area.  99% of the time, it seems like a great area to set up in.  I then take my climber off my back and pick a tree within a few yards of that old wooden stand.  I pretty much always see deer in those places

Edited by not on the rug

The glory days of hunting when a hunter was a woodsman and actually hunted, as opposed to feeding then shooting.  If you were using a climber back then it was an infamous Baker.  A few years back I hunted a spot for old times sake where I built a stand back in 1982.  Last time I hunted there was later 80's, found the stand and tree on the ground, must of come down during a storm.

A lot of memories of building and hunting those wooden stands. Good luck in your "new" spot

Thinking back on some of the stands we built it's amazing I'm still alive.  :rofl:  

There was no such thing as a safety belt back then. 

Edited by Rusty

As much of a pain in the a@# the double ladder was to put together, it definitely is the way to go with my son at his age, other than a blind.

Setting up a 2 man ladder stand by yourself is quite an adventure.   :rofl:

But they really are great when you have kids.  :up:

It was fun to build those stands, lots of memories with them. Your absolutely right, when I used to hunt public land, I would always look for the old rotted out wood stands as a starting point in my scouting.

Edited by 3 Blade

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸