IGNORED

Hunting out of state Big Woods never hunted before

JHbowhunter

My third trip to Ohio is approaching. Last two years, I hunted unguided 250 acres of private hardwoods with big steep hills and ravines. As rugged a terrain as there can be. I was amazed at the quality of the deer herd in Tuscarawas county. Lots of 10 point genetics, and no shortage of big bucks. I took a nice 10pt in November 2014 that would probably have made P&Y if he wasn't so busted up from fighting, and my buddy who had access to the private property took a slammer 12pt last October that grossed well over 150". This was not NJ hunting at least not my style. I do very little NJ scouting and all my spots are pretty much "figured out" over the years. I basically just consider wind direction, time of year, and trail cam scouting to choose what stand to sit. I have other NJ properties I could hunt in some prime locations, just "no time" to do so (my own laziness and priorities). The lure of that "big woods" and having to figure it all out on my own, is the ultimate to me.

This year the ride is a little further, to Vinton County, and the property is a lot bigger at 1,100 acres. My girlfriend thinks I am nuts for joining up with long-time "internet buddies" I never met (from "Bowsite". She thinks it's gonna be a scene from deliverance and if I make it back I won't be the same man. She thinks these hunting websites I frequent are nothing more than a male dating site.

Maybe I am nuts?? This property is apparently even more rugged, with zero agriculture. 100% thick brushy hardwoods, with lots of acorns again this year. There are GIANT bucks on this property - but success rates on Booner-quality bucks is low but they are seen from stand and the cam pics I have seen make me lose sleep at night. There is no running water (no showering). Gulfstream campers are the housing. They have electricity. If I need a shower, have to drive 20 minutes to the Circle-K. There will be 4 of us in camp the week I am there.

They have a lot of stands already set up, but I am bringing my Lone Wolf hand climber. I may sit some existing stands, but I am taking this hunt very seriously. I have never taken a buck north of 150", and that is the goal. They only have one rule - "Shoot it you have to mount it and euro doesn't count" which is my rule pretty much anyway. They say shooting a 130-class buck is fairly easy, but it's the larger bucks that are more elusive. I plan on reading the terrain on my own, looking for rub lines on the biggest trees and big scrapes. I will look for the white acorn concentrations. I will consider the wind of course, but they say it's a waste of time as it blows 360 degrees of the compass there due to the terrain. That's pretty much how it was the other Ohio property I hunted. I will seek funnels and draws, and good acorn-laden ridges. I will hope that the bucks respond to rattling. I pray for cool weather.

Do you think I am crazy? Do you hear banjo music playing when you consider what I am about to embark on? My girlfriend sure thinks I am...

All I hear and see, is the allure of that "big woods", and meeting up with a BOB (big ohio buck) I never met...

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I will say, if the 3 others look like characters from the hills have eyes movie...dont spend the night  :rofl:

We are all a little crazy, especially those of us that are into big mature whitetail bucks. I would do it but that doesnt mean Im not crazy too LOL.

You know what youre doing. Stick to the plan. Stick to what you know. Scout, hunt, scout and I have a feeling you will be successful. I like what they want you to do about shooting a buck. If its mount worthy, you shoot. If not, you pass. Is this 1100 acres privately owned or state land? Sorry if I missed that

On one hand, you could very well shoot the buck of a lifetime.  On the other hand, your whale-eye might end up being the target for a bunch of horny midwestern hill-people. It's your call really.  Maybe you shoot a monster AND you are on the receiving end of some unwelcome butt love.  Maybe that's your thing and maybe it isn't.  

Enjoy the hunt, but listen for the whisper of banjos in the distance

1,100 acre private lease. I am a guest. I think with this group, there will be a lot of campfire drinking at night, but I am there on a mission. I will have a few cold ones but will be waking early with a clear head. If I find the right spot, I want to sit all day. I will be stocked up with granola bars and trail mix and other snacks so I can skip breakfast and lunch and eat in the stand.

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Sounds like a dream hunt to me!!  :up:  :up:

As far as hunting with people that you met online, you can get a pretty good idea of what a person is like from these websites.  I've recruited quite a few people from these sites for management hunts and they have all been decent responsible people.

Totally agree. You can definetly tell what kind of guys you have from the site.

I bet you make friend for life jack. Good luck. Hope you bag a monster.

Sounds like a good hunt to me.  Hunting big woods out of state is definitely different then hunting most places in NJ.  Look for saddles and benches to set up on.

As far as quality of people, there are good and bad folks everywhere but I would guess you won't have an issue.  

Hunting big new woods is a lot of fun, but usually unproductive.  If you have locals that know and hunt the area, that is a huge help.

I hunt Pittsburg, NH every November, and that town is 230+ sq.miles, most of which is huntable.  In NH, if it isn't posted, it's huntable.  Up there the deer have so much range that they're on a 3-day pattern--meaning you'll never see the same deer two-three days in a row.  They roam a wide area, which makes patterning them a challenge.  Fresh snow is a very good thing to have since you can find trails easier and check prints to see how long ago the deer used them.

You're already good with managing your scent, so you have little to worry about there.  As opposed to NJ deer, large range deer aren't used to human smells, so that will freak them out at greater distances.

1,100 acres isn't as big as you think (it is for NJ).  You can walk across it in few hours in most cases, and this is to your advantage.  I would definitely get a TOPO of the area, locate your camp, fireroads, and other entry points.  It'll make scouting and moving around a lot easier, and you won't make as much noise fighting the thick on the ground.

Good luck!  Even if you don't see deer it'll be worth the experience.  I still haven't seen a deer in Pittsburg, but I go up very year because I get to sit in the cold north woods with no cell reception and get to take it all in.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

My girlfriend thinks I am nuts for joining up with "internet buddies" I never met.  She thinks it's gonna be a scene from deliverance and if I make it back I won't be the same man.

The first time I met Little M he brought his daughter to go kayaking with us.  On his way out the door his wife says, "are you really taking our daughter to spend the day with some stranger that you met online?"  :rofl:

I became good friends with a guy on ArcheryTalk one year when we were in a deer hunting contest together (same team) and we've hunted a bunch of times over the years in Ohio and ND!

We've had some great times and shot some nice bucks...all DIY hunts.

Hell, I even went to his wedding :)

Ohio wise, the last time out there, he and I hunted on lands we'd never seen before.  We didn't score on it but came close.  It's definitely difficult the first time out as you are trying to learn a new area and how the deer use it.  He and I scouted for 3 days dark to dark to find the best sign, then hunted the next 4-5 days.  Sign was tough to come by that year (we suspected EHD in the area as it didn't make sense given the previous sign, rubs, heavy trail usage, etc), so the scouting effort was more than expected but we eventually zoned in on a couple spots.  My best recommendation would be to scout your butt off online.  I scoured topos and aerials for months before going out, and used that GAIA app to load all of the maps and the waypoints (I think I had over 600 marked) to check.  I didn't get to all of them, but I checked a bunch and they definitely helped expedite the scout as I knew where I wanted to go as soon as I got there...no figuring out the where, just needed boots on the ground to confirm sign.

Good luck out there, keep us posted on the progress! :up:

Sit Back. Enjoy The Hunting.  If anything unexpected arises, Deal With It.

Best of Luck to You.

I am heading to VA in a few hours . . .

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member