IGNORED

Who Enjoys Winter Bow?

Rusty

Best bet is to get on to land in zones that don't have the extended January shotgun period....Only problem with hunting public land in the snow is other's easily spot your set up because of your trails in and out and they jump in.....Nothing sucks more to arrive at your spot that You've prepped, baited, and hung a stand only to find a big patch of red snow and a set of nads hanging from the nearby tree.....happened to me twice....I no longer hunt public land in winter bow because of it....not worth my effort so someone else can tag a deer

Best bet is to get on to land in zones that don't have the extended January shotgun period....Only problem with hunting public land in the snow is other's easily spot your set up because of your trails in and out and they jump in.....Nothing sucks more to arrive at your spot that You've prepped, baited, and hung a stand only to find a big patch of red snow and a set of nads hanging from the nearby tree.....happened to me twice....I no longer hunt public land in winter bow because of it....not worth my effort so someone else can tag a deer

I love the woods when it snows but hate hunting in it anymore for the same reasons. Luckily south jersey doesn't get the snowfall of the north and when we do it tends to not stick around long

I will say winter bow has been growing in popularity over the past few years.

Edited by bill43

I didn't always go or enjoy it but the last 8 years or so I absolutely love it. I find for me it's less pressure to fill a buck tag, just get out to look for some freezer meat and more of a man vs nature thing when it's really cold. I always seek out the coldest nastiest winter days to go for a afternoon sit, putting my gear, mind and body to the test is really enjoyable to me on those otherwise boring late winter days.

Since my daughter only archery hunts, I think we'll be out in a pop up this coming winter bow in zone 6.  She's long done with volleyball and her drama club (school play) is months away, so it will be the perfect time to sit in the woods with her.  She really loved her first bear hunt although we weren't able to get out much last week, so winter bow could be her chance to get a deer with her crossbow.  I love those crisp, cold mornings with some snow on the ground as well!   

I am starting to enjoy it more and more - agree with TCOOK though, would love to see the woods quiet down and have January be bow-only. The shotguns should be put away after 6-day.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I am another fan of winter bow/late season...love it! I will say I hate the quiet days though, during any season. Dont get me wrong its peaceful and love being out there. But from a deer hunting perspective, I like there to at least be a steady wind. Doesnt have to be gusty or blowing really hard but a steady wind seems to keep the deer at ease a little more in my experiences, whether it be early season, mid season or late season. 

The snow thing is true about others pick pocketing your spots.

Story: I have one spot on public land that I have to walk about a 1/4 mile to a creek crossing. When I got there what I did was walk to the edge(2/3 feet roughly) and find a tree. Walked in circles basically right around the front of the trunk, just trying to make it look as if you were setting up a climber. Was able to jump to the creek , walk the creek just for 50 yards maybe 75,  and then get back in the woods and finish off my hike. Basically, it cut my visible trail off from others to see. It was winter bow and had one spot where I knew the does were herded up. It was a test. One time. The only time I did it and dont you know a couple days later you see someone elses boot prints going right to that tree and they hunted it. It didnt look like they shot anything, or they missed if they did, but I was like man, that quick!? Im always looking for things like this now but its not always possible. Reminded me of fishing a tournament on Lake Assunpink...or any other NJ lake for that matter. Hey I got one, now half the tournament come on over here!

Nothing better than being in the stand with dusk approaching and a dead calm only broken by the faint sound of snow falling around me. 

Unless the calm is broken by the faint crunch of approaching footsteps in the snow.  :)