IGNORED

No luck

Chris

Sat yesterday up in a stand at a property in the West Amwell area with the e-call on the ground. Thought that may help since I have been striking out there and I know there are fox/yotes around.

Did not see or here or thing. Get a text from my buddy at 630 this morning that there is a yote howling behind his house and he is close. Right place, wrong time I guess

Times like these call for a Big Lebowski

If you're calling the same spot/area over and over...your chance of success decreases exponentially every time out.

Like whitetail hunting (x1000), your first time in is your best chance at success.

Coyotes are probably one of, if not thee, smartest North American game animal...you may dupe them once with a given call from a given spot, but chances are if you don't kill them that time...they won't come back to that spot or that call for a long time.

I can remember reading articles from dedicated predator hunters (hunt them like many of us hunt whitetails, year round scouting, some year round hunting, etc)...that they will only call a spot once and then let it sit maybe for several weeks to several months. Or if property size permits, they'll wait for an alternate wind to hunt the other side of the property weeks later with a different call.

Of course, this all depends where you are at, time of year, type of winter, competition for food, etc. But the bottom line is, they aren't dumb...and don't come in easy. Getting them in RIFLE range is hard enough...shotgun range is just downright difficult to impossible in some areas IMO.

Good luck, keep at it...they're definitely a challenge! :up:

You would think being in a stand would be better but it is not. I have gotten Fox to come while in my stand but never a Yote. Like Turkey they pick you right out. Then like BHNJ said once busted they never return. Wind is the most important detail. They will smell you way off. Farther than a Deer. Best is to get your back against something like a road or cliff or lake. Anything that keeps them from circling you and getting downwind. I'm a Chicken Farmer. Yotes and Fox are part of the business lol. Loose 30 or 40 Chickens and you get good at killin them pretty quick.

A motion decoy is great to have. Once they see it it's game over. They charge it. Wait until they grab it to shoot. They grab the decoy then realise they made a mistake. They will stand there a second or two or start to walk slowly away. This is when you shoot. You know the range is good and they are easier to hit.

Chicken breath down! :rofl:

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

Great advice guys. I have hunted this property 3 times in the last 2 months. I will let it sit for a while now. I just made a simple decoy with a some pheasant tails and wings. Moves pretty good in even a slight wind.

Times like these call for a Big Lebowski