IGNORED

Bastards Finally Got Me!

dlist777

That sucks man good luck beating it! I won't step foot in the woods before a frost or two without 18 inch rubber boots, heavy twill pants tucked in them, cinched down at the top, shirt tucked, permetherin on my clothes and off on my skin! Then I won't set foot in my truck until I'm changed out of that gear into my street clothes and still do the tick check before a shower. The nightmare those buggers cause isn't worth not doing a little extra, ever more so since that red meat allergy tick came about. No red meat? Eff that!!!

Knock on wood I haven't found a tick on me in years and rarely get chigger bites after walking through chigger country and I walk the woods a lot. Just on saturday I looked down on my leg (I check for those suckers while I'm walking around) and had hundreds crawling on my pants so i started scraping them off with my machete haha! I know of one that got my arm, thats where the tucked heavy twill pants and changing at the truck play a huge role, I learned the hard way like most of us did but some never learn….

I've done that before - "I'll just be in the woods for a little bit, I don't need to put all my sprayed clothes on". I've been lucky so far. But this is what I'm afraid would happen.

This just settles it. I'm not going in the woods without my sprayed clothes. Just ain't worth it. Listening to stories like what happened to some folks on here, it sounds real bad.

I normally just spray my camo clothes (long shirt, long pants, hats, etc) and I feel stupid getting all camo'ed up just to go out in the woods to walk around during a scouting trip. But then when I'm wearing my jeans and boots, that's all I think about. I itch just thinking about it :) Maybe I should spray some scouting clothes, too. That's the benefit of mixing up the homegrown permetrin spray - I can make gallons of the stuff and spray tons of clothes without paying gobs of money for those little bottles of Sawyers.

I've done that before - "I'll just be in the woods for a little bit, I don't need to put all my sprayed clothes on". I've been lucky so far. But this is what I'm afraid would happen.

This just settles it. I'm not going in the woods without my sprayed clothes. Just ain't worth it. Listening to stories like what happened to some folks on here, it sounds real bad.

I normally just spray my camo clothes (long shirt, long pants, hats, etc) and I feel stupid getting all camo'ed up just to go out in the woods to walk around during a scouting trip. But then when I'm wearing my jeans and boots, that's all I think about. I itch just thinking about it :) Maybe I should spray some scouting clothes, too. That's the benefit of mixing up the homegrown permetrin spray - I can make gallons of the stuff and spray tons of clothes without paying gobs of money for those little bottles of Sawyers.

Exactly my thoughts (about not getting cammo'd up for a short time in the woods).  I think I"m going to just spray a set of work clothes and keep them in the truck and use them when I'm just scouting or whatever.  The one good thing is that this shows that all the prevention really works.  I've hunted this land for 3 years and never got a tick b/c I've taken all the precautions....the one time I didn't, I got a tick bite.  That probably means the place is crawling with them and the prevention stuff really works....so keep it up. 

Since you're on antibiotics now, you'll want to eat some probiotics.  Someone mentioned yogurt, so start with that.  Eat one or two each day.  You should also chow down on some sauerkraut or kimchi too.  Those are also probiotics.  Antibiotics will mess with your gut flora and can kill off important bacteria that helps with digestion.  Eating probiotics like the aforementioned will help keep that in check.  It can prevent a nasty bout of the sh!ts or constipation.  Neither of which you want to have while sitting in the woods.

Edited by Haskell_Hunter

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Glad you caught it quick! That sucks but youll kick its a$$. Ive been taking probiotics for a year from when I had surgery and my immune system took a huge hit in conjunction with the antibiotics wiping me clean of any good bacteria in my body. Definitely take them. I take one with my yogurt everyday. I also do what you guys mentioned regarding the scouting gear. I have a couple sets of regular jeans and t shirts sprayed down with permethrin as well as my hunting clothes. And even though we will never completely fool a deers nose, I go through the scent control regimen with my scouting clothes just like I do for the clothes I wear while hunting. Best of luck to ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk