• NJ Woods & Water Zazzle Storefront
  • NJ Woods & Water Cafepress Storefront

Welcome to NJ Woods & Water

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to NJ Woods & Water, like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup.
Come be a part of NJ Woods & Water by signing in or creating an account today!
  • Enter contests and win prizes
  • Start new topics, ask, and answer questions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums you're interested in
  • Get your own profile page, blog, and photo/video galleries
  • Participate in live chat
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Share content with your social media such as Facebook, Twitter, and Google+
If you are experiencing trouble creating an account, please click here to submit a support ticket and we will help resolve any issues you may be having!

Photo

Whittingham wma bow hunting

26 replies to this topic

#1 Male OFFLINE   Rackattackf7

Rackattackf7

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 09:22 AM

Looking to hunt whittingham wma in late October. Is it good hunting, is it over hunted. Not looking to cause problems with any locals just giving it a try with a friend of mine this fall for a few days. Any info would be great.

#2 Male ONLINE   rgw

rgw

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 09:25 AM

hunt there during the october bear hunt, you can at least take a pic with susan kohl or the new york teacher nut job if you dont get any thing.

#3 Male OFFLINE   Rackattackf7

Rackattackf7

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 09:26 AM

Will be bow hunting deer

#4 Male OFFLINE   JerseyJaysTaxidermy

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

Y Buck

• NJW&W Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 09:30 AM

I live down the rd.. pass by between prime time and dark every night.
I haven't seen a deer since August and there was only like 2 every now and then.
I talk to hunters if they are packing their truck while I'm passing by after dark, and they all seem to see the same thing...0 deer and a few bears.

Seen 1 guy dragging a doe out a few days ago...

http://www.jerseyjaystaxidermy.com

#5 Male ONLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 09:31 AM

These guys are located at the SW end of the WMA:

http://www.appalachianbowmen.org

Might want to shoot them an email with your questions.  I don't hunt there, so that's one less fat guy you have to worry about, but I've ridden past it on my bike, and it looks like good land.  It's smaller, only 1,930 acres, and I would assume it gets a good amount of pressure.

Definitely try to scout it and learn the land a bit.  You might glass a few stands and know where avoid, and you'll also be able to pick up some deer signs and find a good spot of your own.

http://www.nj.gov/de...whittingham.pdf

State map.  Kind of crappy, but a good start.

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

The right to revolt has sources deep in our history.

-- Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

#6 Male OFFLINE   Rackattackf7

Rackattackf7

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 09:47 AM

We have talked to the conservation officer for the area already, just curious if its another public land spot that's hammered to death, we live in new Hampshire where the deer hunting is terrible, like to have some fun bow hunting is all.

#7 Male ONLINE   rgw

rgw

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 10:38 AM

be better off in greenwood state forest, will see more deer

#8 Male OFFLINE   Rackattackf7

Rackattackf7

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 10:53 AM

be better off in greenwood state forest, will see more deer

really, whittingham not that good then?  This state is terrible we just want to have an oppurtunity to hunt and see some deer. 

#9 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 10:58 AM

Here is my honest no BS assessment. I live a mile from the Fredon section, off rt 618, and also the section that extends south on rt 519 including the water dog training area.

Phenomenal looking deer property, but maybe once or twice a year, do I ever see deer on it.  It gets hammered mostly during 6 day - lots of different gangs drive it.

The best chance to have any shot of decent bowhunting would be late October leading up to before Small Game opens - from that point until 6 day - all the fields and first several hundred yards of woods are scoured daily by hunters and bird dogs, so what few deer live on Whittingham, get pushed out to private lands or just in very deep into the heart of the WMA far enough from the small game hunters.  Last season, I did some "in deep" scouting of the interior sections, and never saw so much available browse and acorns. What was missing were rubs, scrapes, trails, and scat.  

I hunt a lot of private land surrounding Whittingham, and the deer numbers (especially doe) are way down from where they were 10 years ago.

To cut to the chase - I could practically walk there to hunt deer and you couldn't pay me to.

• Agree x 2
  • List

#10 Male OFFLINE   Rackattackf7

Rackattackf7

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 11:09 AM

Here is my honest no BS assessment. I live a mile from the Fredon section, off rt 618, and also the section that extends south on rt 519 including the water dog training area.

Phenomenal looking deer property, but maybe once or twice a year, do I ever see deer on it.  It gets hammered mostly during 6 day - lots of different gangs drive it.

The best chance to have any shot of decent bowhunting would be late October leading up to before Small Game opens - from that point until 6 day - all the fields and first several hundred yards of woods are scoured daily by hunters and bird dogs, so what few deer live on Whittingham, get pushed out to private lands or just in very deep into the heart of the WMA far enough from the small game hunters.  Last season, I did some "in deep" scouting of the interior sections, and never saw so much available browse and acorns. What was missing were rubs, scrapes, trails, and scat.  

I hunt a lot of private land surrounding Whittingham, and the deer numbers (especially doe) are way down from where they were 10 years ago.

To cut to the chase - I could practically walk there to hunt deer and you couldn't pay me to.

sounds like its time to look elsewhere, thank you for the no BS asessment   

#11 OFFLINE   Nomad

Nomad

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 11:13 AM

Wharton State Forest is the place to go for deer. Tons of them.

#12 Male OFFLINE   MTH

MTH

Spike

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 11:31 AM

I passed whittlingham parking lot on Sunday last week. 13 trucks there, and all were baiting For Bear. Corn bags and 5 gallon buckets packed in the backs. Bear season negates a quality hunt and as soon as small game opens in Nov any reasonable hunting experience is done.

#13 Male ONLINE   rgw

rgw

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 11:32 AM

out of all the state land I think you chose the worst one possibly. south jersey seems to hold more deer now. if you go before gun season you will brobably have it to your self. 5 to 10 years ago I would of said the opposite and said stay north
  • Agree x 1
  • List

#14 Male ONLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 11:43 AM

We have talked to the conservation officer for the area already, just curious if its another public land spot that's hammered to death, we live in new Hampshire where the deer hunting is terrible, like to have some fun bow hunting is all.

I'm heading up to Pittsburg, NH in Nov to walk around in search of deer.  I feel you pain.  It's more of a hiking trip than deer hunting.  The moose population is also down, they've moved into Canada and ME.  One theory I heard was because of the ticks.  It was causing high mortality on the calves and spreading disease.  Warm winters to blame.

I grew up in Nashua.

US citizens have constitutionally protected rights - but they're only paper protections if they can't be freely exercised.

--BBC News

Ideas are indeed the most dangerous weapons in the world. Our ideas of freedom are the most powerful political weapons man has ever forged.

#15 Male OFFLINE   DV1

DV1

3 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 11:53 AM

out of all the state land I think you chose the worst one possibly. south jersey seems to hold more deer now. if you go before gun season you will brobably have it to your self. 5 to 10 years ago I would of said the opposite and said stay north

I think you mean central Jersey, South Jersey deer numbers are pretty low, and hunter numbers very high.  Seems like the central counties have the best deer hunting, although, I read all the time how no one is hunting these public lands up north. Can read it here, and other sites...no one out during bow season, not hearing any shots during gun season, plenty of deer on public lands, and some guys also post up some pretty big bucks they 'claim' came from public land up north. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

#16 Male ONLINE   rgw

rgw

11 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 11:59 AM

I know when I drive through the pines on rt 539 I see deer all the time.

#17 Male OFFLINE   Rackattackf7

Rackattackf7

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 01:18 PM

I'm heading up to Pittsburg, NH in Nov to walk around in search of deer.  I feel you pain.  It's more of a hiking trip than deer hunting.  The moose population is also down, they've moved into Canada and ME.  One theory I heard was because of the ticks.  It was causing high mortality on the calves and spreading disease.  Warm winters to blame.

I grew up in Nashua.

Good Luck, this state is terrible hunting

#18 Male OFFLINE   JHbowhunter

JHbowhunter

10 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 01:31 PM

I would not say all public land "up north" is as bad as the WMAs...   There is a lot of public land - the one he selected probably now has the lowest deer densities when 15 years ago it may have been the highest. ...    "Unlimited Antlerless", string of brutal winters, abnormally high populations of coyotes and bears eventually take their toll - but man is still probably the #1 nemesis to the deer herd.

I know of a group of guys that come down to NJ from VT every year with bows with the sole purpose of "freezer filling" and do very well on northern public land - but it's not WMA or State land.  Not going to spot burn it for others either, but it's all there on the map.

The OP may also want to consider CT - I believe their seasons are as liberal if not worse as NJ.

• Agree x 1
  • List

#19 OFFLINE   Nomad

Nomad

Y Buck

• NJW&W Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 01:36 PM

Good Luck, this state is terrible hunting

Maybe, but you might get one like this, killed in Wolfsboro, NH. 

Attached Images

• wolfesboro.jpg

Edited by Nomad, 09/22/16 - 01:39 PM.

• Like x 2
  • List

#20 Male ONLINE   Haskell_Hunter

Haskell_Hunter

14 Pointer

• NJW&W Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 09/22/16 - 01:53 PM

Deer herd in S. NH is better than in the north.  Anyplace south of Concord has a pretty decent season.  Another advantage in NH is that if the land isn't posted, you can hunt it even if it's private property.  So there's a lot of land that is available to hunt, and the pressure gets moved around a good amount.  When I grew up in Nashua, I never saw a single deer; not even a deer sign.  Now there are bears, turkey, and deer in Nashua and northern MA.

NJ northern public lands do get a lot of pressure, there's no doubt about that.  There are still deer out there, they're just harder to find and you need to put in a good amount of pre-season work to find their spots and travel routes.  If you don't put the time in scouting, chances are you won't see deer.

• Agree x 1
  • List

--BBC News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users