IGNORED

Expandables for crossbows?

I'll have to check them out. I just want something different.I've been using these same broadheads since I got the crossbow 4 or 5 years. And not one deer has ever had a blood trail. Just drips here and there. Now I don't think I ever had a deer go over 70 yards. But it's south jersey very thick. Some spots are cattails with a ton of deer Trails and the others are stickers and that sucks crawling threw that looking for one or two drops of blood every 5 feet.  I mostly hunt out of my ladder stands. So when I double lung my exit hole isn't low. So just trying to figure out how to get a better blood Trails. Thanks for all the help 

I like many others use slick tricks, they fly true. I take my practice tips off and screw in the slick tricks they hit in the same spot. If your double lunging them they can't be going to far. If you high shoulder hit them you will get more blood but more then likley not find them.  You can also call a tracking dog. We are here to help

I just want something different.I've been using these same broadheads since I got the crossbow 4 or 5 years. And not one deer has ever had a blood trail. Just drips here and there. Now I don't think I ever had a deer go over 70 yards. 

Are your blades sharp?  Do you practice with the broadheads and then hunt with them without replacing the blades?  

I'm going to get on my Ramcat soapbox... These heads fly to the same POI as my field points out of both of my Matrix 380's at 356 fps and my Stryker Solution 390 LS at 384 fps., of course I match my grain weight to my field points, meaning 100 grain field point, 100 grain broadheads.. 

Ramcats for me leave the best blood trail of any head I've used... I think this is due partly because of the way the blades are swept back and also the way the blades are angled... They penetrate like a drill spinning into the animal cutting a barber pole type cut into the animal, not allowing the skin and meat to seam back up.. You can feel this cut when shooting them into broadhead targets and then when you pull them out they want to counter spin on the way out and you can feel the wound channel in the target, unlike other heads as you pull them they come straight back without any feel of a spin.... make sense??

I've also used the Magnus Black Hornet heads and they fly very well and leave a nice hole in the animal.. Also used the Slick Trick 100 grain standards and magnums.. Of them all, the Ramcat just puts a lot of blood on the ground... 

Not sure if you hunt from the ground or from a tree, but if shooting an animal from the ground, when you hit it, you are making two parallel holes in the animal and for a few seconds that blood has to pool up before it can leak out... As we all know, a hit animal can cover a lot of ground in a few seconds which translates to lots of yards before the blood begins to hit the earth. The animal can literally die before it begins to leave good blood...

Of the three heads mentioned here, the Ramcat leaves the most blood on the ground followed up with the Magnus Black Hornet then the slick Tricks... The sharpest out of the box heads though are the Slick Tricks...  This is based on my personal experience with these heads and I own all three brands of heads and shoot broadheads frequently..

Ramcats: Making Blood Trails Great Again!

If I were to use an expandable head, I'd use the Rage Hypodermics with a shock collar or the NAP Killzone Crossbow heads with the heavier retention system....

I know this guy who says Thunerheads don't bleed them too :rofl:  :rofl:

Yes you can use a standard fixed blade head from your crossbow. It does not have to be "Crossbow Rated" as the blades are already in a fixed and supported position before and during the launch... However, I would highly suggest using only "Crossbow Rated" expandable heads as some can pre-deploy on the launch as seen by what happened to Matt with the Rage head....  Manufactures for the most part will rate their crossbow heads based on FPS because the faster a bow is the more violent that can be and can force blades to open prematurely..

Edited by BowTechExperience

Yes just be careful with early blade deployment. Best to always put an heavier oring over the blades to keep them shut in flight. The initial force of the shot opened a rage on me and the blades opened wide enough that it hit the foot stirrup and flew rather interestingly after it left the bow. This was on an Excalibur 405.

Foot stirrup

attachicon.gifIMG_2613.JPG

Gouged

attachicon.gifIMG_2616.JPG

Didn't get that one back after...

attachicon.gifIMG_2615.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, just like your fly casting!   :rofl:

• 9 months later...

Spitfires for CROSSBOWS. 125gr. If you are using light weight arrows 100gr will work. They are designed not to open, even with fast crossbows. A standard Spitfire will work on a slower crossbow, but use the Spitfires for crossbows for fast bows. They all leave big blood trails and are accurate.

Edited by Buzzard II

I'm confused. Can a regular 100 grain 2 blade Rage broadhead be used with a crossbow or does it have to be specifically made for a crossbow ? Same question for other brands including fixed blades ? I only have field tips and have yet to buy anything else and won't if I don't need to. I wouldn't mind using my Zwickys either. Thanks in advance.

It has to be made for crossbow.

Here's a thought.

Mechanical broadheads were developed to overcome the problem of fixed blades flying erraticly from untuned compounds.

Crossbows are extremely accurate right out of the box.

So why jepordize mechanical failure when most fixed blades Should fly true from a crossbow ?

Because expendable cut much wider and put down deer much quicker. Also, since the cut is much wider they are more forgiving on bad shots

The initial force of the shot opened a rage on me and the blades opened wide enough that it hit the foot stirrup and flew rather interestingly after it left the bow. This was on an Excalibur 405.

Holy crap that's scary as ****, that could cause serious injury.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775