IGNORED

Is it legal?

Is it legal?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Can you park your vehicle in a school parking lot and go bowhunting with a bow or crossbow?

• Yes
    • No

My "opinion" is yes, with permission from the appropriate individual to park on school grounds for the purpose of accessing legal hunting grounds and as long as you follow the F&G laws. It is NJ so your guilty as soon as you buy your hunting license but, maybe the school has a parking lot near SGL or is a large campus. If you or your kids went to Rutgers and parked in a lot and walked to some private land to legally hunt most people would be ok with it. I think there would be more gruff if you were in an elementary school or pre k.

I am paranoid, but not that paranoid to think a crossbow is considered a firearm by NJ law :)

The purpose of that second part you highlighted looks to be how they got airguns to be categorized as a firearm in NJ (notice: spring, gas, carbon dioxide, etc) - and why you need a NICS background check if you want to buy an airgun in NJ.

You do not need a NICS check to buy a crossbow in NJ - that should tell you that NJ does not consider it a firearm.

I disagree -- I'm thinking bows and crossbows would be considered firearms in the eyes of the court -- how many towns include bows in their no discharge laws?

Aren't the limbs of our bows springs?  They just aren't made of steel

I disagree -- I'm thinking bows and crossbows would be considered firearms in the eyes of the court -- how many towns include bows in their no discharge laws?

Aren't the limbs of our bows springs?  They just aren't made of steel

Well, my theory is - if you don't need a FID card nor a NICS check to purchase a bow (crossbow, compound, whatever), then it's not a firearm. If in the eyes of the court they ARE firearms, then every archery dealer is guilty of the crime of illegally selling a firearm without checking the buyer's FID card and without performing a NICS check.

Im on tapatalk, just clicked web view to see the question.

I would vote no because this is NJ where you cant even where a t shirt with something hunting related on it, yet alone have a bow with you. Seriously, didnt someone on here have a similar story a while back??

I dont fault you one bit for your paranoia and decision HH

Edited by outdoorslife

I voted no because this New Jersey.....enough said.

To many parents of school children would find a problem with some carrying a gun or bow near there children, NJ remember.

My suggestion would to get dropped off and avoid the bull once and for all. 

IMO bows and cross bows are coincided weapons, and I believe the general public will feel the same.

If you have permission to hunt the spot, your are good to go, just.figure a different way in and eliminate  the hassle all together.

I know "our rights", but we need to consider others as well.

NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands"                          I'm all for Gun Control...I use both Hands.

Well, my theory is - if you don't need a FID card nor a NICS check to purchase a bow (crossbow, compound, whatever), then it's not a firearm.

.. I hope you don't find enough comfort in that theory to actually rely on it.. The fact of the matter is this.. The court will interpret the law which ever way it feels, especially the Democrat appointed Judges and prosecutors .. There is just enough wording there, and just enough lack of wording to justify, At least in the courts mind, a courts decision either way IMO.. I agree with you though.. If you don't need a FID card OR NICS check how could it be considered a Firearm?...

I'm not voting either way.. There will be no right or wrong answer until some poor sucker gets all rapped up in a legal fight costing him thousands and thousand, for his right to bear arms after some jerk off law enforcement officer, prosecutor and Judge decide to clarify the law at the suckers expense..

Bottom line.. The US constitution means NOTHING in NJ..  But, Thats you're alls problem, not mine..I live in VA... he he he he heeeeeee .. :cupcoffee:

:D

A bow and crossbow is not a firearm, it is a weapon. The law is 2C: 39-1.R. The law quoted earlier regarding firearms in this post is from section F of the same law. All sections need to be read thoroughly which most people don't do when it comes to firearms and weapons laws in NJ

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

You would have to check with the school, and the superintendent/principal probably will want the school board to approve it. If you assume it's legal, you could have a problem. There is a park that adjoins WMA ground in one South Jersey town and some guys were using the park to enter the WMA. The problem is, the town has an ordinance that you cannot have a weapon on park property and the police became active in enforcing it, so be careful. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.