IGNORED

NJW&W Offshore Tuna Trip - List of Interest

BowhunterNJ

1. BowhunterNJ
Availability: Any (Midweek preferred to avoid the crowds)
Conflicting Dates: None

2. Keith (BowhunterNJ's friend)
Conflicting Dates: None

3. MeatEater (A.K.A.FishEater)
Conflicting Dates: Sept 28

Edit: changed my conflicting date to Sept 28

Edited by MeatEater

Have fun. I've been on 2 tuna trips and got sick on both. Dramamine only works inshore for me.

My first trip was on a Party Boat. The captain elected to sail with a borderline weather forecast. Most other boats cancelled. When we got offshore, it was much worse than forecast and more than half the fares were not able to fish and were sick. I never went on that party boat again for inshore fishing.

My second trip was on a 6 pack charter captained by a weekend warrior. I got sick in calm seas. We didn't get one bite so l didn't miss out on much. The captain has long disappeared from the scene. The established boats all caught tuna that weekend. If l could do another trip, l would pay extra to go with a captain who is a proven tuna producer with a great reputation.

Not sure, I haven't scouted out any boats yet...but will start looking at 4-person charters.

I was reading a bit today about the warm water out there, some think right now it's too warm for tuna and will be mahi/billfish water.

Boat wise, I saw Fisher Price is running out tomorrow, they go with 4 guys, we'll see how they do.

It's only a day trip though, 4AM departure to 2-4PM return.  Contender, so faster boat but still quite a few hours back and forth.

A friend of mine just came up from NC, he runs a charter but not sure if he's commercial fishing up here or chartering or just relaxing.

Will find out more, but his is a smaller boat and no frills charter.

He may also only run a day trip, not an overnighter.

http://fishwhistlefishing.com/

Also rgw's brother runs a boat that will take 4, so that's worth looking into once we finalize the crew.

I'd definitely prefer to troll and chunk overnight.  I'd much rather chunk in general and fish a rod than just wait on the troll, but don't mind mixing the two up in a trip.

What do you guys think?