IGNORED

Offshore Tuna

BowhunterNJ

thats all my brother does. he is probably out there 3_6 days a week. the beginning of the summer he was crushing the bigeye and yellows, lately very slow. he just went up to maine to drive a new boat home

You ever go with him? Where does he sail out of? What boat did he get from up in Maine?

yea I go usually once a year but he asks me to go a few times a year. his previous boat was a 30 wildcat and I am not sure how big his commercial boat he ran is or was. the new one he just had made is a lot bigger and all the comforts of home from what I here. I have no clue what the make is I will find out one day around 1 pm when I get the call saying pulling into the fish dock in 30 min refueling and turning and burning get down here. he leaves out of lbi in summer hatterus nc in winter and I believe cape in fall. he follows them up and down the east coast year round. personally I like when he lets me drop for tilefish. you can fill the boat with them, but a ton of cranking from 700' down unless he lets me use his electric reel.

Edited by rgw

I never got a big eye until the last time I went with him. they were wolf packing the spread like I never seen fish attack before. looked like bombs exploading on the lures. the one I got hit a 50 stand up. he dumped most of the reel before he slowed down in about 30 seconds. got him within 50 yds of the boat and I yelled for harpoon, my brother laughed and said he dont know he is hooked yet wait till he sees the boat you easily have a hour fight yet. I didnt believe him. well that hour came and went along with another. 2.5 hours it took before we picked up the harpoon. I told my bro I wanted to harpoon it so handed him the rod. that billboard of a fish came by and I missed. I never herd someone yell and cuss like he did. got the fish to circle on top again this time a tad furthur, threw the harpoon and nailed him in the head, put a flying gaff in him, a regular gaff and a tail rope dragged his a=s in threw up, blead him packed full of ice then puked from exhaustion for 20 min.will never forget that trip. that fish was somewhere at or over 300 lbs

Wow that's a heck of a battle! They are strong! Very cool to see them blowing up on a spread like that too! What's the name of your brother's boat? Let me know once he gets settled in with the new boat, if he's taking charters I'd like to see if we can get something together :up:

Anyone been out for tuna, or heading out this summer/fall?

Thinking about maybe taking a trip out there, been a few years since I have...definitely a lot of fun!

TUNA! If my buddy sees this he will be all over it! (Nmc02)

He lives for Tuna fishing and said if he could only do one thing only with regard to hunting or fishing it would be going for giant Tuna!  

I hear it is a blast! :up:

Once you go out for tuna, you'll never want to fish for anything else.

Used to go out from Marblehead when I lived in NH.  6 hours straight out into the ocean, 6 hours to motor around and catch something, and then another 6 home.

It's hard fishing, but well worth the trip.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Talk to BucksAndBeards.  I think he is already set up to go on 3 trips . . . The Voyager . . .

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

I plan on getting out with a few friends this year. Has been a long time since I've been out there. I could have went this week but with fishing a couple of fluke tournaments this weekend I will wait. 

Edited by Buck154

There are several great charter captains here in NJ. The best in NJ is The Canyon Runner. However, they are also the most expensive. There are several other great boats....Jenny Lee, Tenacious, Russian Roulette, and Over Under charters in Avalon to name a few. If you prefer bigger fish and don't want to go overnight >>>>go to Cape Cod. I prefer Reel Deal, Outermost Angling, or coastal charters...

Yes electric reels go a long way for bulk tile fishing! :)

Does he charter or just run commercial trips?

Maybe we can hook up a NJW&W trip :)

I am interested in this, please let me know. I would love to get out for some tuna steaks or tilefish or both.

Paul M. Ross

REALTOR

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

PAUL THE PAINTER

INTERIOR PAINTING

HUNTERDON/WARREN COUNTIES

908-943-8842